Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Get Any Sound!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bacchus

Bacchus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

My motherboard was recently fried. Badly. So, I sent it over to ASUS in Kentucky to get a replacement. However, because it would take 3 weeks at least, I went and got a slightly cheaper motherboard to let me get on with my life in the meantime.

So, I turn the computer on, reactivate windows XP, reinstall any onboard drivers, yada yada, you know, stuff one does when using a new motherboard. But I notice with concern that I'm not getting any sound. I installed the onboard sound card driver from the motherboard CD, yet still, no sound from my speakers. Hm. Well, I figure it's no big deal, because I was about to install a new sound card anyway for surround sound.

So I did. I put in the new sound card, installed the drivers, you know. I plug in my speakers, turn the computer on... hm. Still, no sound. Okay, this is where it's getting bad. I worry that my new speakers are already ruined, somehow, so I get my crappy old speakers and plug them in. I'm not sure whether or not I should be worried or relieved: there's still no sound. That means my new speakers are probably still okay, yet the problem isn't hardware as far as I know.

So, I come to you kind folk for help. Please, please, help! My sound isn't muted or anything. I really don't know what could be wrong. The computer says I have all my drivers, and I've tried two different brands of speakers on two different brands of sound cards, so I don't think it's hardware. Please, anyone? Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:23 AM

First thing, you won't be likely to be able to activate XP if you change to the new motherboard again. You're stuck with this one for a while unless you can call Microsoft and convince them that you aren't putting the same copy of XP on multiple computers. If you were planning to use that copy of XP on the new motherboard, you could have held off activating XP.

As to the sound, was there any software besides drivers that came with the card? Is there onboard sound on the motherboard that needs to be disabled? What model/brand of video card did you get?

#3 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:30 AM

Okay, you were right, buddy! All I did was disable the onboard sound. I should have figured it was that much. The only thing that threw me off was that the onboard wasn't working before I put in the new one, but whatever...

Point is, it's working now! Thanks. Problem solved.

Edited by Bacchus, 24 March 2006 - 02:34 AM.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:58 AM

My pleasure. Glad you got it working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users