Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sizing Window To Screen Width

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

Thanks to these forums I have really learned a lot. A lot of good suggestions, especially from acklan. But now to my problem. I can't get windows to fit within width of my screen. Constantly scrolling left to right driving me nuts. I have W98Se. Lost screen sizing at startup a few days ago & am totally at a loss. Not a biggie, but any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:11 AM

I'm wondering if your video card drivers haven't become corrupted. Open your Device Manager (Usually can be done with Windows Key and Pause/Break key if you have the key with the little window on it betwen Ctrl and Alt) and see if there are any yellow question marks or exclamation points - check your video card drivers to see if they're allegedly working. Post back if that helps or not.

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

Maybe---

Posted Image

#4 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

Thanks medab1 & herk for your response. Pressing Windows key & pause\break gets no response other thab opening the screen that comes up when Start is clicked. Medab1, I do not have the item you show in my security settings. My system older?

#5 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

Ok, back again. Finally got system info to come up. No ? marks.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

I suppose it could be malware or something, but it's raster control in the video card that keep the screen within the window, so that's the first thing to suspect. You can check your settings in desktop properties. Right click on your desktop and choose Properties. Go to Settings and click the advanced tab and make sure it has the correct video card and check whatever else you can see in there. (My Win 98 machine has an accelerator card and a lot of extra options) But Windows Key + Pause/Break should work to open the system properties with the Device Manager - I suppose there could be something else messed up. Two problems: malware can screw things up, and files can be corrupted for other reasons, such as a bad shutdown or an attack of cosmic rays.

Or it could just be that your video card is ready to slowly give up the ghost. If it is a separate card and not onboard video, you might open the case to see if it has a fan and if it's turning. Video card fans sometimes last less than a year. And it might be cleaned, though this doesn't sound like a heat problem.

#7 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Giving up the ghost is a possibility. Old Gateway w/ 32MB Ram. Have run EverestHome. No apparent serious problems except od age. (me too):thumbsup: No malware detected. Thanks to this site I run Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, CWshredder & also Winpatrol. Gambling w/no firewall cause with firewall it takes 10 minutes to load a page. I've tried all the free ones: same result. Am stuck w/current machine at least til October. Just trying to keep stress level down. May have to go to Opera. It features window adjuster. What do you think?

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

My system older?

I have XP Home SP2.
Try closing all windows.
Open Internet Explorer.
Resize the window by dragging the sides to fit.
Close IE.
Open it again & see if the window stays as resized before.
That's all I can think of.

EDIT--
Sorry.
Didn't see the Windows 95/98*Grinler post location before.

EDIT 2--

Upgrade to XP SP2...

Edited by medab1, 24 March 2006 - 06:30 PM.

#9 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hey guys, Problem solved, I hope! From initial screen I right clicked and clicked properties>settings & adjusted resolution up 1 notch. Clicked OK to changes and voila, screen under control. Now, why did I lose it in 1st place? mmmm. dummy behind the mouse? Now if I could find a firewall that wouldn't slow everything down to a geriatric snail's pace I would really be happy. Thanks again, Herk and medab 1.

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

Gambling w/no firewall cause with firewall it takes 10 minutes to load a page.

That is one huge gamble. No matter what, you need a firewall.
A system without a firewall can be compromised in a number of ways.

Bleeping Computer Tutorial - Understanding and Using Firewalls

As far as pages loading slow.

Have you ever ran Scan Disk?

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scan Disk

Defraged?

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

Cleaned out your Cache?

Internet Explorer Toolbar > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files > Delete History

> Defrag and Scan Disk are best done in Safe Mode.

A Defrag done for the first time may take awhile. Be prepared. :thumbsup:

These are quick and easy fixes. If you have never done any of them, it should help some.
Posted Image

#11 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for your feedback Scarlett. Have done all points you mentioned, more than once. I run all spyware & anti-virus 2x/day in lieu of not having firewall. I realize risk, that's why i'm paranoid, but cannot function with extreme slow speed, which is excacerbated by cable connection at peak use times. I guess I was just hoping someone knew of a firewall taking up minimal resources & easy to use by a beginner like me. Have a good one. :thumbsup:

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

Sometimes, Windows 98's resolution settings get messed up. I have a couple of old machines around with Win98 on them and it happens occasionally. When I upgraded to an LCD monitor on one of them, I found that the only way I could get it to work was to first go into Safe Mode and reset the resolution to standard VGA in the Display Properties. (640x480) Then, once I restarted in normal mode, there was something on screen to work with, and I was able to set it to the monitor's max resolution.

But I have had it go out of whack. After resetting the resolution, the icons in the quick launch and so on would still be at lower resolution until a restart, then they would be fine.

#13 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

So far so good. Everything still holding to last setting. Thanks again to everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users