Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with win7/8 pc

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pontiacinf

pontiacinf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

A friend of mine gave me a pc that is about 3 years old, I will post the specs below. The problem is the pc will not boot, and the visible lights on the MB one which shows a power sign is lit red, and there is a reset button next to it lit green. When you press the power button, the pc lights up for maybe a second and fans spin up, and then it just dies, about 3-4 seconds total time. I have not hooked it up to see if there are any messages, I doubt it as it all happens way to fast. I inspected the MB and found port 1 for the video cards, the release latch to let you pull out the video card was broken. Also noted port 2 video card looked as if someone bent it trying to get it out, which the person who gave it to me denies doing. The cowl covering the card was not properly tucked in into the front bracket, I had to take 3 screws out to let it back in. I checked all connections, I tried booting with only one video card, I moved the cards from slot 1-2 to 2-3 with no luck, I tried plugging in another sata hard drive just to see if it stayed alive longer-no luck-3-4 seconds tops it shuts off- I have to get a DVI to VGA connector tomorrow before I can determine if there is any kind of message before dumping-but I really think its hardware somewhere-I saw a pc with a bad video card do this but im guessing-here is the pc specs:

Systemax X58 Performance Gamer PC
Intel Core i7, Intel X58 Chipset, Dual 9800GTs, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Get ready for the ride of your life with this monster gamer from Systemax. This machine is loaded with awesome components. The Coolermaster NV334 nVidia Chassis features a screwless design, dual 120mm silent fans, and support for 4 internal hard drives. This gamer includes the MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 chipset motherboard, Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz processor, 12GB of triple channel memory, a 1TB SATA II hard drive, dual layer SATA DVDRW optical drive, media card reader, integrated gigabit LAN, an energy-saving 80 plus 650-watt power supply, and Microsoft multimedia keyboard and optical mouse. In order to give you the best possible multimedia and gaming experience, Systemax also includes two NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB PCI-Express video cards running in SLI and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

The person who gave it to me also stated they installed windows 8 a month ago on it.

any ideas as to what to look at would be great :)

Edited by pontiacinf, 27 November 2012 - 10:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users