Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a can of compressed air trigger breathing problems and flu like sypmtoms?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I have a lot of allergies and have been concerned that canned air might make me sick. There were times I have gotten sick from using library computers. I have wondered if something they use to clean either the inside or the outside makes me sick. So I put off cleaning the inside of my computer for 6 years but now my computer can't boot and I noticed a paste of dust on the fans.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hello cat33, I sympathize with you.
if you were to buy a facemask from the local hardware store which covers the mouth and nose.......and.....place a fan beside you facing an open window........so that what ever you blow out of the pc, is then caught up in the fans airflow and out the widow it goes. In order to stir less dust etc etc...us an unused, small paintbrush to dislodge the heavier dust etc.....but have the fan there to blow whatever becomes airborne away from you.

A handkerchief soaked in water and wrung out can also double as an effective facemask.

just a thought.

Regards,
Brian
Outback Australia

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

and.......

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-canned-air.htm

worth a read.

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Computers, have a tendency to collect dust, pollen, and everything else in the air. Library computers, likely dont get their insides cleaned out regularly, or properly, just dusted over the outside with a cloth, which is probably why you have problems with allergies there-they are the dust magnets of the building, its likely not the compressed air. And condos advice is sound-on the same note, since they are such dust collectors, if you blow out your computer with a can of compressed air, its going to blow all that dust and pollen and stuff thats inside your computer, up into the air you breath. Doing it near a open window with a fan blowing, and wearing a facemask, is a good idea.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

For what its worth, the canned air I use is flammable. I suspect it is propane in the can. I suspect that because Propane boils off at room temperature.

The same maker also sells a more expensive version such as this http://www.blowoff.com/electronics/canned_air.htm

Blow Off™ Air Duster, Defined as Non-Flammable 10oz is our all purpose sterilized cleaner that removes dust, dirt and microscopic debris from hard to reach places. It's ozone safe.

versus this much cheaper Flammable 8 OZ model http://www.directron.com/bo111113.html

Notice: I've only ever dealt with the people at the first link even though they make both products.

Bottom Line read the label.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 November 2012 - 10:12 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

I doubt theres any propane in it rotor, they would have to label it as such if they were. Its compressed, pure, O2, which the plus is if its pure oxygen-theres no contaminates that can cause issues with your computer. The negative, is pure oxygen is flammable. The cheap stuff you buy at wal-mart, is not flammable, probably because its not pure oxygen, merely compressed air taken straight from the atmosphere and contains the other elements of the air we breath such as nitrogen etc.

Edited by the_patriot11, 27 November 2012 - 11:16 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

There's far greater danger from the dust than the can content. The dust hangs around for a long time if you don't vacuum or blow it away. My can of dust buster contains a bitterant to discourage abuse. Some folk are really mean to their PCs apparently! The bitterant may be more harmful than the useful contents but who knows. There are adequate warnings on the can of what not to do.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hi Patriot

I still suspect Something like propane due to the odor of the contents from the cheap one. It has a liquid that boils off with use.

Since it is a liquid at room temperature and the can gets cold with use and if used heavily you need to wait for the can to warm up to get higher pressure I doubt it is oxygen or only compressed air.

Regards
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

There is an option besides doing it yourself. Take it to a computer shop to have it cleaned out. It should not cost to much. Call a few, explain the situation and ask how much they charge for cleaning the innards. Even though you will be spending a few bucks that it could be worth it in order to avoid an allergy attack.

#10 cat33

cat33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Now that I think about it, when I do look at the vents on a library or any other business used computer, I almost always notice a layer of dust on the outside. Everyday I wipe the outside of my computer with one of those lint free cloths that are recommended for use with computers. I also vacuum the floor in the room that the computer is in. I try to keep the room as dust free as possible. It has always amazed me that businesses don't have somebody at least wipe the dust off the vents everyday but I guess it's cheaper for them to wait until there is a problem to clean it or to buy a new computer? I do think the library is concerned about germs you can catch from a keyboard and mouse so I think they wipe those off from time to time. If I go to the library early in the mourning, they often have some computers that have not been turned on yet. I seem more likely to feel sick if I am the one who turns the library computer on. Sometimes the printer that all the computers share has not been turned on yet either in the mourning. I'm guessing the dust and pollen heat up or something, fly into the air and maybe as the day goes by the dust settles?

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Can you say difluorethane...Ultra Duster - MSDS

Contains a bitterant, too....Bitterant

flammable in some cases....

Sold by Walmart and others

When I used it, any position other than upright (the can) would cause a liquid to collect on the surface
I was cleaning. I suspect it is the difluorethane still in a liquid state. Evaporates but I would not use this
unless I was 120% sure that power was off and in a well ventilated/ no flame or smoker around.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Most canned air dusters contain one of two chemicals, tetraflourethane or diflourethane.

Tetraflourethane is also used as a propellant for pharmaceuticals, such as bronchodilators. This chemical is not flammable.

Diflourethane is used as a refrigerant, it has been a replacement for the refrigerants previously used in air conditioners. This chemical is flammable.

Edited by dc3, 28 November 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

When I used it, any position other than upright (the can) would cause a liquid to collect on the surface
I was cleaning.

Read the instructions on the can!

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Oh great, the refrigerant in the refrigerator is flammable :whistle:

167 @ June 2015

#15 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Oh great, the refrigerant in the refrigerator is flammable :whistle:

So is all the paper in your house (Fahrenheit 451?)

Difluoroethane is flammable if you throw the fridge on the garden bonfire to get rid of it. No flash point, ignition temp 661degC/1222degF. Given some of the PC problems in this forum, you'd hope it would flash at room temperature!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users