Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain cannot access Workgroup Shared folders.?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi there,

Currently, I have a home desktop which runs on windows 8 on a workgroup: WORKGROUP, and my work laptop which runs on windows 7 which is on a domain: ABC.

I shared my home desktop folders to everyone and I have \\HomeDesktop\hdrive

I tried to access my home pc shared folder on my domain laptop, but every time when it asked me to enter username and password, it is stuck on the ABC domain. I would like it to authenticate against the WORKGROUP or access my home shared folder.

I have tried \\192.168.1.132\hdrive ; but it still gives me the authentication dialog box with domain specified.

Hope to hear from experts what solutions do i have here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Login with .\username (NOTICE THE < . > INFRONT OF \ ) Ex: .\Owner and your Password to access the Windows 8 folder from your Work computer. Or when you log into your work computer instead of logging into your your domain user account log into the local PC the same way. Note: You will need to know the local account user name, and Password (depending on the settings the password is usually left blank) Also you wont have access to your Domain user folders unless you share them or the account has Admin Privileges.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 November 2012 - 10:00 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users