Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Humped on chinese canon- compatible printer cartridges

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 humblerthanhumble

humblerthanhumble

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Did I dood it again. Ordered canon i9900 (compatible) ink cartridges. I got them today from Overstock.com and they came in packages labeled G&G. It says on the package, "without chip". My mini knowledge of printers tells me that the cartridges MUST have chips and therefore these cartridges cannot be compatible with the i9900. Am I right? Can I use these or will it damage the printer? I have expensive canon photo paper and I am nervous!

The invoice that came with the poorly wrapped package says that the cartridges are compatible with the BCI-6 series cartridges.

Have I been f--ked? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

The following is an excerpt from a article at Inkjets.4review.

"Smart chip is a small chip that some printer manufacturers put into their inkjet or toner cartridges. It lets printer cartridge and printer communicate and informs the user before the cartridge runs out of ink / toner. Smart chip records droplet count data and tracks ink usage. It may have unique ID and brand name signature of which the printer recognizes. Some smart chips set an expiration date (relative to the date of manufacture) and disable the printer cartridge even if it is full.

Printer manufacturers claim that the smart chip technology adds value to their cartridges so the customers will be warned of low ink. This ensures that print quality can be maintained. Consumer advocates think otherwise. The sole purpose of smart chip is to attempt to limit the competition from third party cartridge manufacturers, so that consumers have to buy overpriced OEM cartridges from the original manufacturers."

The cartridge should work. The downside is that you may continuously get the Low Ink message.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users