Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Pro Disks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

A friend of mine dropped off his "new" computer that he got from his brother. It doesn't have sound. First I installed Everest Home, AVG Free, and ZoneAlarm Free. Then I scanned his computer for viruses and found 35 Trojens (oh yeah).

Instead of messing around with HiJacking the computer to remove the viruses I figured that a clean install of XP Pro (Current OS) would be best and then update to SP2 but he doesn't have the disks. Any Ideas???

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:36 AM

As long as you have the 25-digit license key, you can use any XP Pro disks as long as it's not an upgrade, unless it's a proprietary computer like Dell or something and you'll need the drivers for everything, like motherboard and so on.

I'd check what all the hardware is (Device Manager) first, then try to get all the drivers before I reinstalled.

But if sound is the main problem, it might be wise to troubleshoot that first. If it turns out to be a hardware problem, reinstalling isn't going to fix it. Check the Device Manager to see if the sound card is showing any problems. (Windows Key + Pause/Break key, Hardware Tab, Device Manager button)

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:21 PM

What does Everest show under multimedia?

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 March 2006 - 12:21 PM.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Talked to the guy today Its an update and best I can tell they never made rescue discs (fun) .The Trojens are messing w/ everything but I will reply w/ more info when I get it.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 24 March 2006 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users