Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help With Not Sharing On Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michaelx

Michaelx

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I don't know where to ask this because it relates to a few things, but I thought the best place was here. It's a few questions I have:

1. I have no idea what the library folder is for, I've ready on it and still do not understand, but what I want to know is, do my notepad documents and other picture files
get placed onto these AUTOMATICALLY by windows in win7? or do I have to place them there myself? Because i've seen SOME things I have not put in this folder appear there
before and disappear.

2. How do I completely avoid any one viewing ANY of my files from a public wireless network? One of my computers is now stuck in my networks/ISP folder, and I can't remove it
even by shutting off sharing. I accidentally "hit on" when it asked me would I like to share my computer files with every one else, I manage to only make the "C:\Users" folder
disappear but my computer is still there. Now I'm afraid to open the same folder on my other computer (the folder which contains other peoples shared folders/computers)

3. Can people see my files beyond my library public folders if my C:\Users file is marked as "share - everybody"?

I have researched and read this kind of information already, but I need a more simplified explanation, because I still do not understand how the things I mentioned work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

By default Windows Saves documents, Music, Pictures, Videos to your C:\Users\Username (windows 7). the "Library" is a list of folders that monitor Those directories. If your computer has Windows Firewall Enabled, by default Files sharing is disabled when your on a "Public" Network. However if your connected to Public WIFI and you tell windows its a "Home" Network your files will be shared with anyone you have given permission to Such as the EVERYONE, or HomeGroup.users. When you mark C:\Users folder Shared with "Everyone" All the files, folders, sub directories of C:\Users Ex: C:\Users\Owner My Documents are shared. The contents of the C: drive is not. If You have enabled the Public folder sharing these folders will always be shared with Whomever you have given permission to. By Default Public folder sharing is turned off.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 November 2012 - 10:26 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Michaelx

Michaelx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

By default Windows Saves documents, Music, Pictures, Videos to your C:\Users\Username (windows 7). the "Library" is a list of folders that monitor Those directories. If your computer has Windows Firewall Enabled, by default Files sharing is disabled when your on a "Public" Network. However if your connected to Public WIFI and you tell windows its a "Home" Network your files will be shared with anyone you have given permission to Such as the EVERYONE, or HomeGroup.users. When you mark C:\Users folder Shared with "Everyone" All the files, folders, sub directories of C:\Users Ex: C:\Users\Owner My Documents are shared. The contents of the C: drive is not. If You have enabled the Public folder sharing these folders will always be shared with Whomever you have given permission to. By Default Public folder sharing is turned off.

Ouch. :(

Anyway, thanks for your response, I needed to know one way or the other.......

I have another important question. Right now while I was connected onto my laptop using the same network, I tried to access my files from my OTHER computer, but it's asking for a password? is this a good thing? what's this mean? does it mean my files were possibly never shared?

I have another question, how can I tell what files have been in my documents library before?

Edited by Michaelx, 28 November 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

No it just means you have password protected sharing turned on. To see what folders are being shared go into computer management under administrative tools it the start menu. In computer management click on the shared folders list, the folders listed with the$ sign are not seen by anyone on the network. Any additional folders you can double click on and click the security tab. It will list who has access to that folder.

If you are concerned with others accessing your PRIVATE files :unsure: use a free program such as Truecrypt to lock them up. Then it doesn't matter who has access to the file hey can't open it without your password. :police:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 November 2012 - 06:08 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Michaelx

Michaelx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

Thanks, but it unfortunately looking like the damage has been done already. I was just trying to figure out whether or not, I should get out the noose. It was so important to find out whether or not my files had already been shared. Ones I did not want certain people seeing. I was trying to find out if people had seeing a certain document on my desktop. And I just noticed it did not have
any $ pw protection BEFORE I changed things to the way you said. So noose awaits. Or shotgun or...yeah...never mind. But thanks again. Just needed to see if the nightmare was real or not. :crazy:

i just still dont understand why its password protecting folders that arent suppose to be password protected

Edited by Michaelx, 28 November 2012 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users