Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen (Tested video out)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AnabolicHippo

AnabolicHippo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi,

I my laptop was closed one day, my kid had just closed the screen, and when I opened it, my computer would no longer boot. I have tried doing a hard reset, remove the battery, hold the power button for 30 seconds, and then try to boot the computer (this didn't work, I have tried to output the screen to an external monitor (it displays as no signal). Now, there are lights on the front panel, I have listened and the hard drive is also trying to work, but I've noticed that the fan is not working underneath. Also, I have tried removing the RAM and the hard-drive and tried booting up the computer (no success). I have heard that cleaning the RAM might help? Also, I have tried opening the screen at a 30 degree angle and booting; I heard there can be problems with a magnet and this method wasn't successful.

The model of computer is a Toshiba Satellite L500D. I have been considering disassembling the computer and trying to remove the CMOS battery, but, because the battery is soldered to the board, I have decided to delay with this option. I have tried to give as much information as possible, but please let me know if you need any additional information or if there is anything else I should try? Any help you could offer would be most appreciated; this computer is becoming a bit of an unhealthy obsession for me.

Thanks,

The Hippo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

RAM modules are seated in sockets, so dust usually isn't a concern and shouldn't need cleaning.

The problem with magnets and monitors was only with CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) types, not the LCD types. With CRTs a magnet could disrupt the flux field causing color distortion. When the magnet was removed the degaussing unit usually would eventually correct the problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

The problem with magnets and monitors was only with CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) types, not the LCD types. With CRTs a magnet could disrupt the flux field causing color distortion. When the magnet was removed the degaussing unit usually would eventually correct the problem.

Now imagine your young son discovering magnets make "pretty rainbows" on daddy's VVega, daddy's very expensive VVega.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 AnabolicHippo

AnabolicHippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

RAM modules are seated in sockets, so dust usually isn't a concern and shouldn't need cleaning.

Yeah, I didn't figure it was either of those things, though I am honestly grasping at straws at this point. There's a big part of me that wants to say the motherboard, perhaps even components within the computer, are fried, possibly because the cooling fan wasn't/isn't functioning, but I don't want to be hasty with recommending a new motherboard; much more likely is a new computer, as I figure costs would be prohibitive. What do you guys think about the CMOS battery? Is it even worth going into that territory?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

It would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 AnabolicHippo

AnabolicHippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I did in the first post, it's a Toshiba Satellite L500D

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

I did in the first post, it's a Toshiba Satellite L500D

You certainly did. Too many topics open leads to confusion.

In your first post you wrote that there are lights on when you press the power button. There usually are two, one to indicate that the power is on, and the other to indicate hdd activity, it will blink when there is activity. Do you see any activity on one of these lights?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users