Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie "crashes", Netscape Crashes, Msn Browser Ok

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Macavity

Macavity

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

Indeed, things are a bit of a mess at present. Like I said, my MSN browser seems largely unaffected (which leads me to believe it's spyware or malware) MSN is affected in two main ways : Some shopping websites don't do anything when I hit the "next page" buttons. (Has ActiveX been partially disabled?) Also, when I attempt to download patches or any new freeware, I hit the "Download Now" button, I'm sent to the next page, which usually says "Thanks for downloading [whatever]" but no download has occurred.
IE does not "crash" until I attempt to open my favorites. If I simply click on an article on my homepage, everything continues normally. Interestingly enough, after I get the crash message in IE, I can close the message, and another window pops up stating that there is an error and IE will now close. There is an "OK" button on this second window. Until I click "OK," IE doesn't close and functions more or less normally with the same "quirks that are occurring in MSN.
This all began about three days ago. In the few days that preceded this change in my computer's behavior, 3 things of significance happened. In order, they are:
First, upon start-up (but not EVERY time), I began to receive a message stating that a certain webpage couldn't be opened. Sometimes the name is different, but it's always something inappropriate. I'm sure it's just spyware. I thought I'd eliminated it with Spybot Search and Destroy because it stopped happening for a while. (It has returned since the "crashes" began.)
Second, I started using my Outlook Express program. No big deal, but I hadn't used it before.
Third, in order to use Outlook with my Juno e-mail account, I had to upgrade my Juno account, which required a download of Juno Speedband.
The day after that, I turned on my computer to find that Norton was going a bit haywire, attempting unsuccessfully to scan an unnamed program or programs, opening about a dozen small notifications at once. Norton then popped up a message stating that Norton would have to be uninstalled and re-installed. (which I did, but with no success: the same message just popped up again, so I currently have uninstalled Norton.)
That's when all of the other problems surfaced as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

It sounds as if you're infected. My recommendation is to post a HijackThis log at the Hijack forum. Before you post, please read the pinned post Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.

#3 Macavity

Macavity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

Unfortunately, because of whatever is infecting my computer, downloading any new programs doesn't appear to be an option. I ran Spybot Search and Destroy a few times, and then I ran a HijackThis scan and attempted to post the log. However, I got a message from a moderator that my HijackThis was an older version, and my post was essentially not allowed. I can't download the newest version. I can go to the webpage, I can hit "Download Now," but that's it. Nothing actually downloads. Am I just out of luck?

Edited by Macavity, 25 March 2006 - 11:11 AM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:46 PM

Try using safe mode with networking to download the new version of HJT.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

If what Enthusiast suggested doesn't work, get a friend to download the programs for you, then burn them to a disk, and install them from there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Macavity

Macavity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:02 PM

Thanks, Enthusiast, I'll give it a shot. And if it doesn't work out, I'll take tg1911's advice. Of course, first I need to make some friends . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users