Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 failed update problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 roberth5

roberth5

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

I have 4 Win 7 computer that will not up-date, Windows shows 21 updates available (all 4 computers show same), upon reboot system says "Updates Failed".

Each computer upon reboot dsiplays an error message saying the "updates failed".

rinse - repeat.

This started with one computer about a month ago, I now have 4 that are doing it. I have scanned with Combofix, Superantispyware, Rkill, Symamtec's Endpoint, eSet on-line, Panda on-line, Malwarebytes, JRT, ADWcleaner, CCleaner, FSS, awsMBR, and tried the MS FIXIT.

I also tried this procedure:
1) Disabled Windows update Service
2) Deleted all files in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\datastore and deleted files in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download
4) 3) Downloaded and installed the most up to date Windows Update Agent.
5) Restarted Windows Update Agent, made sure Workstation and Background Intelligent Transfer Services were running.
6) Ran the MS Mr. Fixit program to repair update issues.
7) Ran the Windows update. 21 updates to install (as always).
8) Rebooted
9) Guess what, same issue!

I tried this on ALL 4 COMPUTERS I have with this SAME issue, 2 of which are on the same domain, the other two are laptops. ALL 4 FAILED. All four (4) again show the need to receive 21 updates. All 4 were again ran through the update process, all four (4) again failed post re-boot to take the updates (message stated “up-dates failed” post re-boot)

I have seen many complaints on this problem when I google it and people are referred to the MS Mr. Fixit, yet only a couple have said this fixed their problem. I have looked at well over 100 google hits and several youtube videos, searched bleepingcomputer and other window repair forums, no one seems to have hit on the repair that has been proven to actually fix a majority of the failed update issues. This problem is primarily hitting win 7 systems. One poster claimed that re-setting his time and date fixed it, so I tried that as well. No joy!

Is a full re-install the only way to fix this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hello -
Apart from being a server issue with the 4 computers (ever tried on another download / modem / router) -

Now can you please tell me the settings for updates, they will be listed as below >>
1. Install updates automatically
2. Download updates, but let me choose whether to install them
3. Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them
4. Never check for updates (not recommended)

Using option 1 you hope that the system / server is not too busy and just install whenever they are available
Using option 2 you allow the updates to be installed at a time of your choice
Using option 3 you get to see all updates, and can only select one at a time if you choose
Using option 4 you would need to manually go to Windows site and seek any available updates

When you get Updates Failed do you ever get an error number (there usually is one) -

Thank You -

#3 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

I went to the event logs on one of the computers, there are 851 update related error event messages, 22 events happened today.

I just searched the error message and saw a reference to this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29156

A feedback poster on the above fix stated that he went to MSconfig and disable non-microsoft services and other 3rd party programs to get past the update problem.

I have tried many of the other fixes on the internet, however nearly all feedback posters stated the fixes failed to resolve the issue. Feedback posters from the above fix ALL state it resolved the update issue. Fingers cross, reboot and manually pushed update coming once I finish this post. I will post the results.

In the mean time here are a couple of logs.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date: 11/29/2012 8:05:29 AM
Event ID: 20
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Level: Error
Keywords: Failure,Installation
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DFD15.<<mydomain>>.local
Description:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2661254).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}" />
<EventID>20</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>1</Task>
<Opcode>13</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-29T13:05:29.942805500Z" />
<EventRecordID>113450</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="952" ThreadID="3500" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DFD15.<<mydomain>>.local</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="errorCode">0x80071a90</Data>
<Data Name="updateTitle">Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2661254)</Data>
<Data Name="updateGuid">{726B7201-862A-4FDE-9B12-F36B38323A6F}</Data>
<Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">104</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

2nd event:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date: 11/29/2012 8:04:59 AM
Event ID: 20
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Level: Error
Keywords: Failure,Installation
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DFD15.<<mydomain>>.local
Description:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071a90: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2739159).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}" />
<EventID>20</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>1</Task>
<Opcode>13</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-29T13:04:59.269725900Z" />
<EventRecordID>113429</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="952" ThreadID="3500" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DFD15.<<mydomain>>.local</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="errorCode">0x80071a90</Data>
<Data Name="updateTitle">Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2739159)</Data>
<Data Name="updateGuid">{D86DCBFE-F105-4AB3-B863-08891A52FF55}</Data>
<Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">200</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

#4 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

One machine appears to be fixed by the aforemented MS 64 bit update[Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2647753)].

I am going to give it a shot on the other 3 machines now.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hi -
One down, 3 to go - Please keep us informed, as I have this batch file for you to run if you still have problems.
If there are still problems, run this recommended repair batch file (as given) since it seemed the best non-M/soft fix I found.

•Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
net stop cryptsvc
cd %systemroot%\system32
ren catroot2 catroot2old
net start cryptsvc
•Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
•In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
•Name the file UPDATE Fix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
•Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it on XP. For Vista / Win7 right click on it and choose Run As Admin

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858 << This seems to be the next option - Supported operating systems: Windows 7 x64 Service Pack 1

Let us know your results as you do the other 3 computers -

Thank You -

#6 seooffpage

seooffpage

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858 check out this link you will find some help.

#7 srader

srader

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I went to the event logs on one of the computers, there are 851 update related error event messages, 22 events happened today.

I just searched the error message and saw a reference to this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29156

This fixed my problem. Thank you for posting.

#8 roberth5

roberth5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

All of my Windows 7 "Failed to up-date" issues were solved with this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29156

Thanks for all the replies and input.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thank you for the feed-back -

I now have that M/soft link saved for future use :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users