Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hi all,don't know if I am in the right forum but here goes.My grandsons Toshiba laptop crapped out or I should say just the screen.I know how to hook it up to my desktop monitor but he doesn't remember his password.When I boot the laptop it asks for his password.Can anyone give me a work around for this.This request is legitimate and I am not trying to scam anyone.My Grandson does not remember his password,thank-you.

Edited by Andrew, 27 November 2012 - 01:59 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved to XP - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guitarmee

guitarmee

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm new to bleeping computer. I don't know all the ins and outs of the rules on this forum. I know that the forum isn't for illegal activities, but if it is your computer or if you have permission from the owner and user, there are "password reset utilities" out there that you can download and burn to a CD. You just boot from the CD and go through the steps to reset the password.

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thanx for the reply but it's a little offensive to me to think that I would do anything illegal.His laptop was bought by me for him last X-mas.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:
Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:
Password Recovery Tools:

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thanx for the help.I ordered a recovery disc from Toshiba because the boy doesn't know where it is either.As soon as I get the disc I am going to re-install the OS.That should solve the problem.

#6 guitarmee

guitarmee

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

I apologize if I offended you. I have no way of verifying the intent of a person over the internet. I use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (ONTPRE) under "Password Recovery Tools" in the post by Bleepin' Night Watchman. It isn't the most user friendly program because it doesn't have a graphical user interface, but it is pretty straightforward. It takes about 2 minutes to boot into the disc and reset the password, and it's a free program. Of course, reinstalling windows will remove the password, but it will also remove all the data in the user account (and everything else).

#7 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

No need to apologize,no offense taken.Was a little upset cuz the boy can't find his crap.Don't think he realizes how pricy his laptop was,Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users