Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Short Circuited

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mbrac3

mbrac3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Not sure how to title this but wanted to share something.

Today at work, I plugged in a brand new Hard Drive into the computer, it is an IDE Maxtore 80 GB. And as soon as I turned it on, the power port on the Hard Drive just kind of released this crazy electric shock.
First time I have seen a hard drive actually "blow up" in a way lol.

Anyways, think there is any chance it'll run still before I plug it in? Could have just been a power surge, but I'm not sure and don't want to harm my desktop at work. Input will be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

It could have been the power connector was not fully inserted or a hardware fault. First I would check the power supply in the PC is still OK, either with a digital voltmeter or in the BIOS. You can buy a drive-to-USB test set which has a drive power supply, adapters for IDE and SATA plus USB connection to a PC (cost around $15). You could plug the drive into the supply and listen for it spinning up or smoking (risking the $15). It's not very practical making a wiring harness with fuses on all the voltage wires. Other than that you can only plug it in something and see what happens. Your choice if and where.

#3 mbrac3

mbrac3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

It could have been the power connector was not fully inserted or a hardware fault. First I would check the power supply in the PC is still OK, either with a digital voltmeter or in the BIOS. You can buy a drive-to-USB test set which has a drive power supply, adapters for IDE and SATA plus USB connection to a PC (cost around $15). You could plug the drive into the supply and listen for it spinning up or smoking (risking the $15). It's not very practical making a wiring harness with fuses on all the voltage wires. Other than that you can only plug it in something and see what happens. Your choice if and where.

yeah, i know the PSU is fine. I'm on my work computer right now. My idea is that it is a crappy Maxtor drive that is faulty. We just have this drive in here to replace old IDE drives that customers bring in.
I just tested the usb connector on another IDE drive. Seems to be not be working.

Thanks for the input.. I love to hear the reason to why this could happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users