Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 to USB 3.0?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DONBEL

DONBEL

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Haven't posted much since your forum helped me through an upgrade on my desktop. It has been performing great, but I would like to upgrade to USB 3.0. I checked Newegg and was a bit confused. They have USB 3.0 cards with external slots, internal slots and a combination. Do the internal connections convert my existing USB 2.0 slots to 3.0? If not, what do they do? Also, the reviews of many of the cards, particularly SYBA, were harsh. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, what are your thoughts on SSD cache drives like Corsair's Accelerator or others now on the market. Corsair's product had some pretty mixed reviews.

As always, thanks for your help. I've sent so many people to your site for help and have heard nothing but good things back from them.

DonBel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

What is your system configuration?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

It would help if you linked the actual card your looking at, but my suspicion is the internal connector is the connector. that you can plug your case USB ports into, as opposed to a traditional USB ports. You will notice if your case has any USB ports, that they plug into your motherboard. Well, I would suspect that the internal USB your looking at is the 19 pin header, so that you can plug additiona USB 3.0 ports from your case to that card. Some cards do actually have an internal USB port, for reasons unknown to me, perhaps for using a jumpdrive for a permanent storage device, without it hanging out the back of the computer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Actually a lot of card readers/front panels use/used the USB3 male connectors. Bad as it sounds they were designed to run the cables through the case, out through the rear slot, and into a rear motherboard USB3 port. Some of the USB3 cards have the connectors internal just for this purpose, to simlify routing. The 19 pin header didn't get standardized until later, and it is only recently that you can finally get cases and motherboards that both have the proper pin connectors.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DONBEL

DONBEL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Sorry. Down with a bad back and couldn't get back to you. You helped me rebuild this computer a couple years ago but I can't find the link. You also had a link that I.D.ed my system for you. I don't know where to find it. But, I have an HP w/ an AMD 925, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HD and run Windows 7 (64 bit). Also, I installed a Nvidia GeForce 2 MX 4600 series graphics card.

I looked at a lot of cards at Newegg, but I don't really understand the differences or the internal bit and I'm not sure I understand your posts. Most seemed to mention 19 pin headers but I'm not sure what that means to me if I install a card. And, is it even worth it? From what I read the transfer rates were much faster.

Also, any opinions on the SSD cache drives like the Corsair Accelerator or the similiar products from OCZ?

#6 szvwxcszxc

szvwxcszxc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

You can't convert it, but you can add a USB 3.0 PCIe slot if your motherboard supports it.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hi, I'll put it this way. If you want SSD performance use a SSD drive not a cache drive. There is a reason for those bad reviews.

As for USB3 I had mixed results except for the Western Digital USB3 card which shows up as a NEC USB3 in the device manager. It is a Solid performer. You need a good card since the only reason for usb3 as I see it is to speed up external drives. A card that will keep connecting and disconnecting the drive is asking for data corruption.

Nothing converts the existing USB2 to USB3. Also be prepared to buy USB3 cables to use with the USB3 ports. The device connector is different.

There are a few front panel devices that have a plug that plugs into a existing USB port and that would be why the cards may have a internal port. Providing a Internal port usually reduces the usable external port count however.

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. I have stopped buying any USB2 external drives and have standardized on USB3 only. Usually 2TB as a sweet spot for size and price.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users