Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 old user data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daveycrockett

daveycrockett

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi Everyone

I am rather new here and hoping Im in the correct section. I bought a used laptop bout a year old with win7. When I do for instance a file download a box will pop up with the old users name ie., trkinney.. as a user I guess, but he is not on the start up menu as a user. If I do a search off the bottom left start menu using that name, it pops up on a whole bunch of operating files and downloads, mostly which I have done since buying from the guy. I am reluctant to change that name on the files I pull up via search for fear of modifying a root file of some sort. If this query makes sense to anyone who has had a similar issue, I would be happy to hear some advice. This is the data I am trying to delete:

C:\Users\joeblow\Favorites

Edited by daveycrockett, 27 November 2012 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

What you could do is create a new user account for you in Control Panel then log on to the account to activate it.

Move or copy anything you have downloaded and any other files you have added (including your favorites) from the old user account to your new account.

After that is done DELETE the old user account. Do not save the files. If the user name still shows up under Users delete it.

Another option: back up YOUR files and start clean by reinstalling the operating system. Personally, I think this is the best option. You get rid of stuff the former owner put on the computer and customize it to the way you want it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 November 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Actually, if the other account is the default admin account you won't be able to delete it.

#4 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

OK - Thanks for those tips - I believe the original owner deleted most everything, but some still keep popping up which is annoying. The pitfalls of buying used equipment I suppose, if all else fails I suppose I will have to reformat to get rid of these remnants.
Thank you.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Actually, if the other account is the default admin account you won't be able to delete it.

If you mean the hidden admin account you are correct. But if that is the account the OP is talking about it would first need to be enable to show AND it most likely would not have a user name attached to it.

If it is regular user account then any other account with admin status can delete it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

...after making itself the default admin account :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users