Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 or 3.0 Hub, which to get?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

What is the best deal on an external USB 7-port hub (either 2.0 or 3.0 or both in one unit)? I found a USB 2.0 hub with 7 ports for $40 at Best Buy and was wondering if that was a good deal or not? I was also wondering whether I should spend a little extra for a 3.0 hub now or if I would be better off waiting for the prices to come down on them and just get a bargain 2.0 hub for a much lower price?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

The best deal depends on what you need. Regarding number of ports, do you really need 7? Ultimately all the devices are communicating down one set of wires so don't expect top speed if all devices are active. Are you talking about powered hubs? Un-powered USB2 hubs are limited to a total of 500mA/2.5 watts. Powered USB2 hubs can provide 500mA/2.5 watts per connection. Un-powered USB3 has a max of 900ma/4.5watts. Powered USB3 hubs would have that per connection. USB3 is a lot quicker providing devices both ends support it. It is backward compatible with USB2. Max cable length is shorter with USB3. If you are planning on upgrading your equipment USB3 is the way to go, otherwise get USB2 and upgrade when your equipment warrants it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users