Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluescreen/Crashing - Seems hardware/memory related

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

I am having severe bluescreen/crashing issues and I think at this point it is hardware:

-PC was stable for a long period until recently
-Generally reports IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but many others seen (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED etc)
-I removed a stick, crashes stopped and so thought it was bad RAM and bought more
-As soon as I installed the new RAM (in whatever combination), it started crashing again
-Memtest ran 1 pass fine
-chckdsk ran fine
-It crashes in Safe mode, but much less than in normal mode (so stressing the RAM?)
-I have 2 ATI graphics cards in crossfire, so I tried unplugging each to see if one was faulty and still bluescreened
-I booted off the Win7 DVD and it also froze (once). It also crashes on the window loading screen, and I have done a system restore to the earliest possible point, so I don't think it's drivers.

Yeah, I've seen enough crashes to last a lifetime. At this point it always happens within minutes of loading up Win7, and more regularly before it even gets to that. See attached for computer info (AMD phenom II, 8gigs RAM and it gets worse if I add more)

Could it be the PSU? Mobo? How can I diagnose further? These are expensive, I want to be as sure as possible that's the issue before I buy a new one (sadly I have none spare). It's generally well exposed and not that dusty - I guess I can try one more vacuum.

Thoughts??

Attached Files

Edited by FinalThoughts, 27 November 2012 - 04:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

You might try testing your hard drive for problems. I use Seatools For DOS (free)from Seagate, it works on all hard drives regardless of manufacture. Click on Downloads, then Seatools For DOS, burn the ISO to a CD and reboot with it in the driver set to First Boot Device. It will give you a Pass or Fail readout. You also might try Whocrashed (free) to read your minidump file from your BSODs, might give you a clue. Make sure dump files are enabled in Windows. Both links below.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

#3 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Ok thanks, I will try that. I'm fairly certain it's not so much who but what, but ntoskrnl.exe is mentioned regularly.

For anyone else following along, I am trying out some of the steps I found here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/ntoskrnl-exe-crashes-628650.html

Will report back.

#4 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Just a thought... if you are running crossfire with two cards make sure the ambient temperature of your case is not causing overheating. Bad drivers can also cause problems; one thing you can try is to run MSCONFIG from the RUN box, deselect all services, see if the crashes stop. Then enable 1x1 until the crashes start again and you found the culprit. This does not work as many times and it does, but at least it's a start. Whocrashed may give you more information.
If nothing works, then you have to get drastic; strip down the computer, remove Crossfire cards, run the integrated video (if your mobo has it), run one stick RAM, and see if the crashes stop. Then add peripherals 1X1 until the crashes start. If possible, use a different hard drive with only the OS on it. Then install the mobo drivers, and go from there. HEREis one way of constructing a newbuild while testing all the basic components at the same time, it may give you some ideas.

Edited by ranchhand1, 27 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#5 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

I really appreciate the help.

make sure the ambient temperature of your case is not causing overheating.

I can't see this being the issue, it crashes immediately after being off all day, and runs for long periods in safe mode.

Whocrashed may give you more information.

Whocrashed did give some interesting information, including some 4 drivers. However, there are so many different crash causes/drivers, and the fact that it crashed when booting off the Win7 DVD and in Safe mode that I'm still not certain that's right. I will investigate each driver and report back. I will retest with the Win 7 DVD to make sure, because a crash on that would surely show a hardware issue?

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hello FinalThoughts,

-I removed a stick, crashes stopped and so thought it was bad RAM and bought more
-As soon as I installed the new RAM (in whatever combination), it started crashing again
-Memtest ran 1 pass fine

One pass for a memory test is not enough. My suggestion would be to re-test the memory, one stick at a time with MemTest86+, following the procedure below:

Please follow this post: Windows 7 - RAM - Test with Memtest86+ to either create a bootable CD (Method 2) or bootable USB flash drive (Method 1) to run the test.
  • Once the computer is booted from the CD or USB flash drive, MemTest86+ with start automatically and continue until you stop it by pressing the ESC key.
  • My recommendation would be to run MemTest86+ for at least 7 full passes; overnight - 12 hours would be better.
  • There should be NO errors reported.
  • The test can be stopped (press ESC key) as soon as an error is reported.
  • See Part 3: If you have errors.
Assumimg that two sticks pass the test independently, test both of them together (consult user manual for appropriate Ram slots to use). Remember, if Memtest86+ finds errors, it is either a bad memory module or a bad slot on the motherboard.

Before you re-test the memory, let's gather some information about your computer

1. ) Please download the following two files to your Documents folder.
2. ) Navigate to your Documents folder.
  • Right click on BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe and select, Run as administrator.
  • This will run autoruns as well and will create a new folder, Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2, within your Documents.
3. ) Run a System Health Report
  • Click START -> type perfmon /report , then click perfmon /report at top of column. .
  • After data collection, click File -> save as perfmon.html in your newly created "Documents\Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2" folder.
4. ) Zip up the Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2 folder.
  • Right click on the folder and select Send to --> Compressed (zipped) folder.
5. ) Please upload the zipped folder to a File Sharing website of your choosing because Bleeping Computer has a 512 K only upload limit and this file will be much larger.

In ADDITION:
To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • During installation, uncheck "Install the free Google Toolbar along with Speccy."
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the reply!

So I ran memtest several times over-night so it had at least 7 passes and it showed no errors. I put all of the RAM back in bit by bit and didn't see any errors.

Here is the link to the BSOD files, perfmon report and CPUID report.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhzv5mscrq39qjb

• I could not get Speccy to run - every time I try it the PC will freeze.
  • I have been starting up the OS normally now (previously I was only using it in safe mode) and although it doesn't crash after a few minutes, it is very sluggish for some reason and for example takes some time to do window redraws.
  • It generally freezes rather than bluescreens, although I have no doubt that what ever is causing the issue is still capable of both, I just haven't seen it recently.
  • Doing a clean boot (i.e. turning off all non-MS drivers) didn't seem to improve things in any way
  • I will try to reproduce the crashes while booting off a CD again to make sure, but I'm certain that's a symptom I've already seen
  • EDIT: I've also unplugged one of the graphics cards so it's not running in crossfire

Edited by FinalThoughts, 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#8 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

Anyone have any ideas here? I'm just dreading buying new hardware and finding out it wasn't at fault.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hello,

I apologize for the delay. I am travelling and have had difficulty finding time to get online.

Do you have an anti-virus program installed? I didn't notice any.

If not, please download and install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). MSE is an effective anti-virus program and is known for it's stability. Next, download and install the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware to use as an on-demand scanner.
  • Do NOT start (uncheck) the trial version of Malwarebytes after installation.

Please run a full scan with each, one at a time.

From Performance Monitor:
1. ) A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from starting properly.

Details:
  • The device, Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, cannot start properly. It may not have the correct driver installed or may be experiencing a hardware failure. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\*TEREDO\0001.
  • Resolution:
  • 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
  • 2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
  • 3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
  • 4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.

2.) A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.

Details:
  • The device, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr31". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is {5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP\5-8B6F36C-0-01.
  • Resolution:
  • 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
  • 2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
  • 3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
  • 4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.

3. ) One of your recent bug checks:
BugCheck D1, {ffffe28031201c50, 2, 0, fffff88006ef336a}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\athrx.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athrx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athrx.sys
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+7036a )

Probably caused by : athrx.sys

athrx.sys	Tue Jun 09 14:06:49 2009

See if there is a driver update for the Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Ok, I actually noticed there were a few conditional Windows Updates (the wireless network adapter was one of them) so I'm applying them now. I have MSE installed already, and am running a MB scan too. It's still crashing regularly, and still oddly slow. That could be because of the new memory not playing nice (first time I've used 12gigs in this machine) but it's all rather mystifying.

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

1. ) Were you able to test the hard drive using Seatools? If so, did it pass the Long Test?

2. )
BugCheck C9, {23e, fffff880010d2324, fffff9800bc5cea0, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for GEARAspiWDM.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for GEARAspiWDM.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dtsoftbus01.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dtsoftbus01.sys
Probably caused by : dtsoftbus01.sys ( dtsoftbus01+1324 )

Probably caused by : dtsoftbus01.sys (DAEMON Tools Virtual Bus Driver)
  • As a test, I suggest that you uninstall Daemon Tools.

Dump File : 112412-29016-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/24/2012 3:57:44 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c9
Parameter 1 : 00000000`0000023e
Parameter 2 : fffff880`010d2324
Parameter 3 : fffff980`0bc5cea0
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : dtsoftbus01.sys

3. ) Are you still running Driver Verifier?

Regards,
Brooks

#12 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I should have mentioned sorry, I ran Verifier originally and it fingered dtsoftbus as an issue on startup. So I uninstalled Daemon tools and used a specific tool to remove the driver as well. I'm not sure if the driver verifier is still running on each start up, but if it is it no longer picks up any issues.

Previously I could only use the PC in safe mode and Seatools wouldn't run. After putting in new RAM for the memtests it seems to have gone from "crashing within 30 seconds" to "running excruciatingly slowly and sometimes crashing". The upside of that is I ran a short-test with Seatools - no issues were detected. I can run a long test too, it just takes a significant amount of time since everything is so slow.

For interest, the crashes happen at any time - on initial start-up, on the windows loading and log-in screens, and in general use. I am not sure a what stage drivers get loaded but I thought that might help.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Attach any new minidumps (after 11/24/12) if they happen.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 FinalThoughts

FinalThoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Well there's one more minidump, but I'm not sure it's helpful.

Largely, it has not been bluescreening - it simply freezes up. Once it froze up on the motherboard loading screen.

The long test with Seagate tools passed ok. Took me a few tries though, because it would obviously freeze a lot of the time and for whatever reason it's running very slowly like it's super low on memory even though it detects all 12 GB.

Funnily enough the only relevant thing Malware Bytes detected was a tool I downloaded recently to check the temp the PC was running at was not the issue...

I have the latest drivers for my graphics card, but I'm going to try out some others just to see if it's the issue. The only other thing I can think of was that at some point I installed some webcam software, but I've removed everything related to that now to no avail.

Attached Files

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hello,

120912-28844-01 Crash Dump

Debug session time: Sat Dec 8 23:30:43.854 2012 (UTC - 5:00)
Loading Dump File [D:\Download_D\120912-28844-01\120912-28844-01.dmp]
Built by: 7601.17944.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:32.728
BugCheck A, {1, 2, 1, fffff800024d03e6}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athrx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athrx.sys
Probably caused by : athrx.sys ( athrx+88232 )
Bugcheck code 0000000A
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000001, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000001, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff800024d03e6, address which referenced memory
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA
PROCESS_NAME: System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xA_athrx+88232
BiosVersion = 0704
BiosReleaseDate = 11/25/2009
SystemManufacturer = System manufacturer
SystemProductName = System Product Name

Probably caused by: athrx.sys

athrx	athrx.sys	Mon Oct 05 12:33:57 2009

1. ) Check in Device Manager for your specific Atheros Wireless card number. You may be able to find an updated driver here.

2. ) Make sure that Driver Verifier is off.
  • Open an Administrator command prompt and type:
    verifier /reset
  • then re-boot the computer.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users