Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alphabetizing A Movie List

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hi all,

First of all I'm using W2k Pro, and Small Office 2k, and I would like to make an alphbetized list of my DVD movies and be able to add to this list as my library grows, and I was wondering if either of these systems offers that ability. If not, is there a freeware program that I could use?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:27 PM

In what type of format is the list? Do you have Excel? You can drop a list into Excel, and it will sort for you, or probably any other spreadsheet. I am not familiar with Small OFfice, so I don't know what it has with it. If the files are in a text file, a simple vbscript will do it for you.

I thought I used to have a java program that would do it, but I can't seem to find it.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:02 AM

You can use a spreadsheet much like a database, with each column representing a field (for example, Title; for example, Director; for example Running Time), and each row( a record)representing a particular movie. You could then sort by any column (field).
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 24 March 2006 - 12:20 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:11 AM

Thank you for your responses, looks like I'll have to brush up on my excel skills.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

Using a spreadsheet for this kind of project is really easy, and the sort fuction is even already built in. The hardest part is figuring out (before you get half way through entering your library) every aspect you want to include. I always prefer the first column to be a straight numerical sequence of "observations," or entries,so you can restore the original temporal entry sequence if you need. Assigning cell space and determining cell format is also a good idea.

By the by, you might want to check the on-line MS Office site to see if they have a template already designed, or at least one you can modify; it might save you a lot of time.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/templates/default.aspx

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Here is a link to a program that will not only keep track of your movies but it will pull information about the movie from the IMDb (Internet Movie Database). While getting the URL for this program I see that the website it was hosted on has suffered a hard-drive failure and was lost, but the author has maintained a link to the program and it may still be downloaded. I have used this program for years and have never had a problem with it. It does also offer an option to print your movie list.

http://www.movietrack.net/ Works with: [Windows 95/98/2000/XP]

Posted Image

Edited by Ronbo, 24 March 2006 - 07:22 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:01 AM

Thanks John, I spent some time working with excel this morning, and figured out how to set it up so that I can continue to add to the list and maintain the alphbetized asspect while adding the actors which won't be. By accident, I found out that I could even highlight and copy the movie posters from netflix, it takes up a lot of room to be visible, but it's a thought.

Ronbo, I appreciate the link, I tried the download which ultimately required registering in order to use it, and apperantly you can't get there from here. Some day when I have a little more time to pursue it I'll give it another try, I've bookmarked it for the time being.

#8 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Ronbo, I appreciate the link, I tried the download which ultimately required registering in order to use it, and apperantly you can't get there from here. Some day when I have a little more time to pursue it I'll give it another try, I've bookmarked it for the time being.

dc3, having installed this software many times and having recommended it to many people over the years and never having run into a registration issue before, I re-downloaded and reinstalled the software to see what had changed.

I am happy to tell you that you still do not have to register to use this software. The registration screen you are talking about is the following:

Clickteam Install Creator
Copyright 1999-2003
http://clickteam.com

This install program has been created with a freeware version of Clickteam Install Creator, a simple and powerful install maker.

This screen does not appear in install programs created with a registered version. You can register on-line on the Clickteam Web site.

Thank you for using Install Creator!

This does not affect the software you are installing, it is just the price the author of Movie Track had to pay to use the freeware version of the install program. You do not have to register with this site and no ad or spy-ware is installed with this program, it is just a way for the Clickteam to have its install software recognized as being used for free.

Edited by Ronbo, 25 March 2006 - 01:20 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:04 AM

Thanks rondo, I'll give it a try...again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users