Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web browser very slow/unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DancinProf

DancinProf

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

My husband's laptop has suddenly become very slow when using Internet Explorer (IE9) and Google Chrome. He happened to have moved our modem & wireless router today but my computer and iPhone are both connecting okay so it seems like the problem is on his machine. I ran his antivirus (AVG) which removed a few things ("bad executable file" was the description if I remember correctly) and ran Malwarebytes which found about 85 problems of various kinds. I could not, however, get Malwarebytes to download the most recent database--the progress bar would get to 50% at most and then reset to 20% or less. That problem persisted even when I ran RKill before starting Malwarebytes. I also ran Spybot Search & Destroy which found about 120 problems, but I have not been able to "fix" those. First, the program said I need to run it as an administrator (not sure how to do that); then it repeatedly showed a pop-up message stating "Unexpected error in fixing problems (Cannot create file C:\Windows\wininit.ini, access is denied).

What can I try from here? Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Download the free version of avast! and run a boot-time scan. And let us know if it helps.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 27 November 2012 - 02:53 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 DancinProf

DancinProf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

Download the free version of avast! and run a boot-time scan. And let us know if it helps.

Did this last night and it seems to have helped. It found a bunch of PUP files and deleted them. I'm going to retry updating Malwarebytes and see if I can run that as well. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

#4 DancinProf

DancinProf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Okay, I got Malwarebytes to update & run and it did not find anything. Spybot Search & Destroy is still finding a total of 122 entries--some PUP and some adware. In Spybot I'm still getting the same errors as before: the message that I need to run it as an administrator and the error message saying "Unexpected error in fixing problems (Cannot create file C:\Windows\wininit.ini, access is denied)." Is there something else I should try? Thanks again.

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

To run the program as an administrator. Simply right-click on it's icon(whether on the start menu/desktop) and click on "Run as Administrator", click "Yes" if something pops up. That error you're having with Spybot shouldn't come when you do that.

Also, remove any suspicious(and unwanted) extensions from both Google Chrome and IE9.
Here's how to that in Google Chrome.

Here's how to do it in IE9.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 29 November 2012 - 02:54 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#6 DancinProf

DancinProf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thanks, I got Spybot to work! One program, called "SweetIM," kept showing up in the Spybot scan--there is just 1 file remaining but Spybot could not completely remove it. I've read elsewhere that SweetIM is problematic; is there another way to remove it?

I also disabled the add-ons in IE that looked questionable. Does IE9 only allow add-ons to be disabled, not deleted? That seems weird.

#7 DancinProf

DancinProf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Update: last night while the computer was on but not being used, it started emitting a very loud, continuous BEEP that continued until my husband turned the computer off by holding down the power button. There was no warning message or dialogue box or bluescreen, just the beep! We turned the computer back on this morning and it hasn't happened again. Can you advise? Thank you so much!

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thanks, I got Spybot to work! One program, called "SweetIM," kept showing up in the Spybot scan--there is just 1 file remaining but Spybot could not completely remove it. I've read elsewhere that SweetIM is problematic; is there another way to remove it?

I also disabled the add-ons in IE that looked questionable. Does IE9 only allow add-ons to be disabled, not deleted? That seems weird.

Is this the SweetIM you are talking about? I found a video guide...
http://www.7tutorials.com/internet-explorer-9-how-remove-or-disable-add-ons
Here's how to remove IE9 add-ons.

Update: last night while the computer was on but not being used, it started emitting a very loud, continuous BEEP that continued until my husband turned the computer off by holding down the power button. There was no warning message or dialogue box or bluescreen, just the beep! We turned the computer back on this morning and it hasn't happened again. Can you advise? Thank you so much!

Something probably went wrong with the hardware for a while. Maybe it was temporary if it didn't happen again and you don't really need to worry. You should ask the guys at the hardware section to get better suggestions.

Hope it helps. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users