Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice about which new hard drive to buy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 startingoveragain

startingoveragain

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

I have an HP Pavilion 4-4141us entertainment model laptop with windows 7 64 bit. (Well, it used to have that, before the drive failed) The original equipment was a 640 gb drive. I didn't want a "new" warranty replacement from HP because they said it would be refurbished. Already experiencing a hd failure, I don't want someone else's "fixed" drive in it. I don't need 640 gigs anyway, that's just what was in it.

My question now is whether it's wise to buy 640 gb or larger. I've been told by a geeky type that it's better to go with bigger, instead of smaller. The old hard drive never gave a single hint it was going to fail, but considering how tiny the laptop is (I wanted it specifically for that purpose) I am wondering if 640 gb ran too hot in the compartment (if they have to invent a rubber gasket to surround it, probably WAS too hot). So I would never go with more capacity.

Can anyone give any idea what the best (least likely to fail) brand is, and a recommended gb size?

Will it require adjustments in the BIOS, if it's not identical to the original?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

The size of the hd has nothing to do with how "hot" it runs or how long it lasts. As a rule, most people should buy the largest hard drive that fits within their budgets simply because you can never have too much space.

#3 cbn620

cbn620

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

It's true that bigger is better, but there's also the issue of price. HDD prices are on the high side right now. For laptop hard drives, about 80 bucks will get you a 500 GB from Seagate or WD (the two biggest brands.) That's not bad at all, and unless you want to keep a very large collection of video, music, games, etc. installed on your machine it should be enough space.

As for your question about BIOS/installing a different model: Laptop hard drives, 2.5" drives, are virtually all the same as far as compatibility goes. You do not need to buy an identical drive to the one you had. You should be able to install a new HDD without doing any tweaks in BIOS. Putting in your Windows disc after the new HDD is installed and powering up should do all the work. You may have to press a key when the computer starts and tell it to boot from CD-ROM, since there will be no OS on your hard drive to boot from until you are done installing it. That's the most you will have to do in BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users