Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Boot Manager appears on startup, occasionally

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Windows Boot Manager has been appearing upon startup occasionally for the last two months. No other big problems seem to be happening, other than a frequent problem with speaker volume control dropping downward, which has been happening also for about the last month or so. All other operations seem to occur well.

The screen shows this as white text on black background, occasionally on start up:

Windows Boot Manager

Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool:
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press ENTER.)

Microsoft Windows Vista (this was highlighted)

To specify an advanced option for this choice, press F8.

Tools:
Ramdisk Device Options
Windows Memory Diagnostic

This afternoon when the screen came up upon start up, the keyboard would not do anything. Pressing Enter did nothing, but computer would not respond to keypresses, so Windows did not start; just the same Boot Manager screen remained unchanged; so I turned OFF the computer, disconnected from power, pressed and held power button to drain all charge, waited two minutes more, and then reconnected, and did fresh computer start and found no trouble since - still in current usage session.

I wish I knew how to understand and investigate this in some meaningful way.

Windows Vista, laptop-Toshiba, T5550 processor, 3072 RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, 802.11 a/b/g wireless internet connection. What else needed?

Edited by cafejose, 26 November 2012 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management?

Louis

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management?

Louis

How do I do that? If you mean, post a screen shot of the Boot Manager message that appeared, I have no way to do so, which is why I copied the message onto paper using pencil and reported exactly what the message said in my original question posting.

EDIT: This system is not allowing the link to the images to be included, so I will simply give the hyperlink addresses to the images screenshots. (Found how to find Disk Management in Control Panel).

(The difference between the two is just a matter of scrolling while in Disk Management)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/diskmanp2nov26.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/diskmanp1nov26.jpg/

Edited by cafejose, 28 November 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

As I already wrote:

Windows Vista, laptop-Toshiba, T5550 processor, 3072 RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, 802.11 a/b/g wireless internet connection. What else needed?

Toshiba Satellite, model = p305-s8822. Windows o.s. is Windows Vista Home Premium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users