Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Along with the economic decline of America today since I am in the mood to acknowledge it and seeing this particular portion of the forum I would like to say that they should have left well enough alone with Windows 95. It was great and so was America. If I get in trouble for posting what may seem off-topic - I'm used to being in trouble by now.:wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Windows 95 was fine for its time, but then so was Windows 3.11, MS-DOS 5, MS-DOS 3.3, CP/M...

I don't think there should be any trouble, you're entitled to your opinion. But I do think sometimes we view the past through rose tinted glasses.

The first release of Windows 95 (which I got immediately on release) was under developed. It was limited to FAT16 partitions (max 2GB), had no USB or AGP support, still had 16 bit code which limited stability and memory handling, and ran co-operative not pre-emptive multitasking. But it was great if you wanted a modern GUI Windows on 4MB of RAM.

By OSR2 it had become more polished, but the USB support was uncertain and having to underclock fast CPUs to apply a patch before it would run at full speed was a kludge.

Once Windows 98 had matured into SE, I had no hesitation in abandoning Windows 95 for the all-round improvement in 98SE, likewise migrating from 98 onto the all-round excellent XP. A trip into the past can be interesting, but i really don't think we could successfully have stayed there.

Edited by Platypus, 26 November 2012 - 10:18 PM.
Megabyte, not Gigabyte...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Windows 95 was fine for its time, but then so was Windows 3.11, MS-DOS 5, MS-DOS 3.3, CP/M...

I don't think there should be any trouble, you're entitled to your opinion. But I do think sometimes we view the past through rose tinted glasses.

The first release of Windows 95 (which I got immediately on release) was under developed. It was limited to FAT16 partitions (max 2GB), had no USB or AGP support, still had 16 bit code which limited stability and memory handling, and ran co-operative not pre-emptive multitasking. But it was great if you wanted a modern GUI Windows on 4GB of RAM.

By OSR2 it had become more polished, but the USB support was uncertain and having to underclock fast CPUs to apply a patch before it would run at full speed was a kludge.

Once Windows 98 had matured into SE, I had no hesitation in abandoning Windows 95 for the all-round improvement in 98SE, likewise migrating from 98 onto the all-round excellent XP. A trip into the past can be interesting, but i really don't think we could successfully have stayed there.

I respect your opinion. I question the ongoing "improvements" made today which make it less user friendly. Used to be common sense would help you figure out how to do something, now there's no way. in my opinion there will always be "improvements" no matter what because otherwise software companies would lose their source of revenue.

The thing is "how many more bells and whistles can we really use"?

It really ticks me off that these companies are able to inflict (in some cases) this new software and then give limited to no support if problems arise. I can't think of any other industry that is allowed to deploy a shoddy product and wash their hands of responsibility. Just to TRY to contact any customer service representatives in any industry is anxiety provoking because I know it will involve hours of frustrating phone trees and voice mail and other implements of torture. The worst is being forced to talk to a nonexistent "person" who inevitably says "sorry I don't understand your response let's try again" Just let me talk to a REAL PERSON.

Ok that was sort of a rant - sorry I just needed to say I guess because lately I've been spending too much time trying in vain to resolve problems. They know how to collect money - delivering a worthwhile product is another matter. :dance:

Edited by kcsummer, 26 November 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#4 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

I agree totally!

In my opinion Win98se is the BEST WINDOWS OS EVER RELEASED!!!

Your right,the newer OSs are not as user friendly,they are uglier/dumbed down and you dont have much privacy as you get closer to Win8 (And Win8 you have ZERO privacy)

Windows started being locked down with the Win2000 SP4 update...

#5 surion

surion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

Oh. Win 95. The good old days. Bring me DOOM!!! :crazy:

#6 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Bring me DOOM!!! :crazy:

You called?

:welcome:

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

Everything up to and including Windows 98 was just DOS.

Windows 2000 was the best OS Microsoft ever came up with.  Everything after that was just bloat and "we need an excuse to force people to pay for a new OS".

#9 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:56 PM

Yes well 2000 is when they started locking down windows! (With the SP4 update it began)

#10 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Well, its good to hear some comments for the past. Yet the world is changing by all these technologies around us. You have nothing to do but try on with what's trending.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users