Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible to use recovery disks on a new hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 startingoveragain

startingoveragain

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I have an old Vista laptop that is on its last legs. Broken keys, USB ports no longer functioning, mouse pad keys inoperable.

I also have a NEW win 7 laptop that has a failed hard drive. Other than that, it's almost brand new.

Never liked windows 7, but vista wasn't available when I bought the "new" laptop.

Is it possible to buy a new hard drive for the "new" laptop and use the recovery disks from the "old" vista unit to install the OS? I have win 7 recovery disks, but prefer NOT to use them.

How do I change the BIOS so that the "new" laptop will recognize the "old" OS?

Does it make a difference as to the size of the new hard drive? The old (new one that had win 7) was 640 gb. These are not available in brick and mortar stores. I don't need 640 gb. Would 500 be sufficient? Has anyone got a rave review of a new hard drive they'd like to share?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Recovery disks are tied up a specific computer model with a specific OS on it so unless both laptops are identical you can't use recovery disks from Vista laptop on Win 7 laptop.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 startingoveragain

startingoveragain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Recovery disks are tied up a specific computer model with a specific OS on it so unless both laptops are identical you can't use recovery disks from Vista laptop on Win 7 laptop.

Can you tell me what 'cloning' is? I've heard the term but not sure how people do that, or what the purpose would be but it seems to be what I'm trying to achieve. Just on another laptop that doesn't have a hard drive.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

You'll find more than I can tell you here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 startingoveragain

startingoveragain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

You'll find more than I can tell you here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

Thanks!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

FWIW: Cloning does not sound like what you want to attempt. Cloning is an alternative system safety/backup/recovery mechanism that makes an identical copy of a partition/drive. With a laptop, which is an OEM system, that clone will only be useful when employed with the same system reflecting the O/S, drivers, settings, and equipment...as the system in which the cloned drive exists.

So...you can never take a hard from system A...clone it...and expect it to work properly in system B...unless systems A and B are exactly alike in hardware, versions of Windows and accompanying licenses.

Louis

#8 startingoveragain

startingoveragain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

FWIW: Cloning does not sound like what you want to attempt. Cloning is an alternative system safety/backup/recovery mechanism that makes an identical copy of a partition/drive. With a laptop, which is an OEM system, that clone will only be useful when employed with the same system reflecting the O/S, drivers, settings, and equipment...as the system in which the cloned drive exists.

So...you can never take a hard from system A...clone it...and expect it to work properly in system B...unless systems A and B are exactly alike in hardware, versions of Windows and accompanying licenses.

Louis

Thanks for the reply. I understood that after reading the link Broni provided. If one can upgrade from Vista to win 7, is there a way to 'downgrade' from win 7 to Vista?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Any "downgrade" desired by a system owner...can only be obtained by a clean install of the desired O/S...or the use of previously issued/made recovery disks on a system where an upgrade has taken place.

Attendant with such should be the realization that drivers for an older O/S are not necessarily readily available at the website of the system manufacturer...since there seems little point in developing drivers for older O/Ses...on systems which have been manufactured with the intent of installing Windows 7 and later O/Ses.

OEMs don't look backwards when planning their product support services.

Louis

#10 startingoveragain

startingoveragain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Any "downgrade" desired by a system owner...can only be obtained by a clean install of the desired O/S...or the use of previously issued/made recovery disks on a system where an upgrade has taken place.

Attendant with such should be the realization that drivers for an older O/S are not necessarily readily available at the website of the system manufacturer...since there seems little point in developing drivers for older O/Ses...on systems which have been manufactured with the intent of installing Windows 7 and later O/Ses.

OEMs don't look backwards when planning their product support services.

Louis

Stores still sell Windows Vista packages. If they can only be used on 'clean' hard drives, which is what I will be purchasing, are you saying it's not possible to install it? I guess I'm not clearly stating what I'm looking for or maybe I've misunderstood the intent of this site. Is this primarily a site where one gets help with viruses or blue screen of death and the like?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

A clean install...is one which is not dependent on upgrading and is not an attempt to install Windows in the same partition that an existing Windows install resides.

Probably called "clean" because it's sssumed to be on a system/partition which does not reflect a current version of Windows to muddy the water, increasing the chance of problems. The install process includes formatting a new Windowx partition, destroying any data that may have existed on that disk space.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2012 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users