Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copying old hard drive to new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

It seems more cost effective for me to replace my now dead (probably worn out PSU if you saw my last thread) desktop (6-7 year old gateway running Windows XP) rather than repair it. which brings a question to mind:

Is it easy to learn how to transfer the stuff on my old hard drive to the new hard drive? Barring that, does anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost to have someone else do it? If I buy locally I could pay someone to do this. If I buy from New Egg, which is where I got my netbook, I won't have that option.

any opinions/advice are greatly appreciated.

thanks!! (and if this is in the wrong forum, please move. I wasn't sure where to post this)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

If you have a desktop, you can connect it internally or just purchase a IDE/SATA to USB adapter to transfer your files to your current system.

Tekken

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

One thing to consider: if you have sensitive material on there, you might not want 'just anybody" to exract the data from there. If you aren't buying the exact same computer, you won't be able to just copy the whole hard drive either, your best bet it to buy an adapter like mentioned above by jhayz and drag and drop the files you want. simple as connecting a usb jumb drive. The only difference is you will want to make sure the drive receives power, and that you will have to dig around alot of system files to ge the stuff you want.

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

thanks to you both for your replies. is this doable when the old machine won't power up? I am thinking not....and guessing I may have to pay the $70 to have this done professionally. I hear ya on the sensitive stuff. might have to be a risk I will have to take.

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yes, you have to remove the drive from your computer. It is not terribly difficult but there are certainly things you should know about before you do it. the biggest and obvious one is:STATIC SHOCK, you could fry your parts without even knowing it...

There are alot of tutorials on YOuTube that you can check out to see how to remove the Hard Drive. I suggest watching a few. It won't seem like such a mystical journey anymore.

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

thanks scurvychef. I decided to not take that risk and paid $70 to have it all transferred to the new laptop. it took me a while to find my data but it's all there. now I just gotta find my Outlook backup and I'm good to go. thanks for all the replies, appreciate it greatly!!

#7 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

:thumbup2: :thumbsup: No problem!

#8 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

hey y'all, I'm back!! So, the place that was supposed to copy my "data files" did not do that. Instead what they did was to copy the ENTIRE hard disk (including program files) into a folder on my new desktop. I think I know what I need to do but if someone out there can just confirm for me, I will be on my way.

What I think I need to do is to move all my data files to new folders on the new hard drive and then DELETE the folder on my desktop so as to save hard drive space on the new computer. Right now there is 34gb in that folder on my desktop (the entire old hard drive), that's what told me they copied the entire hard drive. There is no way I had 34gb of data files!

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

#9 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yea, that would be the thing to do, free up some space on your hard drive and get rid of all the program files and such. Just make sure the program files you are deleting are within the folder and not the ones for your current system.. that wouldn't be good!

Scurvy :chef:

#10 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Yea, that would be the thing to do, free up some space on your hard drive and get rid of all the program files and such. Just make sure the program files you are deleting are within the folder and not the ones for your current system.. that wouldn't be good!

Scurvy :chef:

exactly. I can't see how program files in a folder on my desktop would affect the actual programs running on this new laptop. I guess they did it this way as it was easier than picking out the actual data files.

thanks much.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

FWIW: To access data files falling under the Documents and Settings group (My Docs, My Videos, ad nauseam), you will have to take ownership of the files to get access to move them.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder, Win 7 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Louis

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

FWIW: To access data files falling under the Documents and Settings group (My Docs, My Videos, ad nauseam), you will have to take ownership of the files to get access to move them.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder, Win 7 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Louis

hmmmm, I do recall having that issue with photos on my netbook that has Windows 7. but that doesn't appear to be an issue with my new laptop (to replace my dinosaur desktop that just died....7 years of great service from that machine!!) that has Windows 8? I've been moving stuff all week a little at a time.

but thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users