Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All browsers report as outdated

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sillydrunk

sillydrunk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I work in tech support and I have a user that cannot play content on some sites (in particular iheart.com when trying to access 100.5 The KATT)and pulling pictures from oklahomapartypics.com.

--The KATT simply will not play. There is no error.
--Oklahomapartypics.com displays an error that says:

"Unable to retrieve images. Please be sure that you are using a modern browser such as IE7+, Firefox 3.5+, Safari 3+ or Google Chrome. If you continue to get this error, please report error code (Images-1B).
parseerror
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unterminated string"

This error comes up on all browsers from just this one computer. The computer is not believed to be infected (this issue was reported about 2 days after it was received brand new from Dell and configured for the user).

So for I have attempted the following:

-- reinstall the browsers
-- access the sites from different/brand new local and domain profiles
-- access the sites with the firewall/McAfee disabled
-- complete removal/installation of .net 3.5/4
-- complete removal/installation of Silverlight
-- complete removal/installation of Java
-- ran sfc
-- used msconfig to disable everything that was not absolutely required

I know the JSON error is javascript error, but javascript is browser dependent not system dependent. The fact that this happens even on a portable operating system indicates that this is related to a system resource that is shared by both browsers. Research turned up information indicating that json.dll variants are also installed by .Net 3.5/4 and Silverlight utilizes the .net framework.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? My next step is a complete rebuild of a brand new system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

complete removal/installation of .net 3.5/4

Please note that .NET3.5 is required for many sites to function - Always keep it installed, as it is also a part of a Windows 7 install -
Can McAfee be removed from the system and be replaced with M.S.E. or a similar free Antivirus, just for now .......

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please copy / paste the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -
EDIT - Oklahomapartypics.com is ranked - Independant Pagerank(4/10).
If you use WOT the ranking is Very Low for this site.

Edited by noknojon, 26 November 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#3 sillydrunk

sillydrunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Removing McAfee is not really feasible right now because the user is doing time sensitive tasks. I was able to run the report.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.56
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Java 7 Update 9
Adobe Flash Player 11.5.502.110
Mozilla Firefox (17.0)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise VsTskMgr.exe
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise mfeann.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

As for the WOT rankings, we are not using any ranking systems. Also this is not a network issue. We can plug a laptop into the same network port and get through with no problem. Nearly identical systems on the same V-Lan also have no issues.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

(this issue was reported about 2 days after it was received brand new from Dell and configured for the user).

Personally only -
If this is a new computer (as implied) I would remove / extract all documents / programs and send it back to Dell while it is under warranty.
The problem seems to be in the basic programming of the computer, and it should be replaced for free from Dell -
Your only other option that I see, is to do a Full backup and reinstall Windows 7, then hope it solves the problem :mellow:

I agree that it seems not to be an infection of any type, but why would you "Rebuild" it if it is almost new ?? Unless this has been a problem for ages (not mentioned)
How old is the system, and what "extras" (apart from regular programs) have you or the owner added that may cause a problem ??
Just my last options. However others may have other ideas for you -

Regards -

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

The only 2 items that you have not given are the 2 basic scans -
sfc /scannow first to check all System files are OK - Then follow this with chkdsk /r to check and repair disk errors -

Both should be done from an elevated command prompt - Start > Programs > Accessories > Right click on Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator -

Good Luck -

#6 sillydrunk

sillydrunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

This system was received about 2 weeks ago (yes, brand new, not refurbished or anything; and with no bloat-ware). Nothing out of the ordinary was installed. McAfee Enterprise, Office, flash player, adobe reader, and firefox were all that was added before the user ever even attempted to access the sites.

I have ran sfc to check the system files, but not chkdsk. I should be able to get onto the system tomorrow afternoon to get a full scan running.

The reason I am considering a rebuild is because I believe something may have become corrupted when the updates were running or something. Unfortunately this user has an important enough job that when they cannot work, no one can pick up the slack so I'm hoping to avoid a rebuild.

The fact that even portable versions of browsers are getting the same error indicates that it is a system resource that is the problem. The question is, what system resources would be shared by all browsers that could result in a json.parse error? If sacrificing a chicken will fix this I'm game lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users