Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me diagnose this freeze/crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cbn620

cbn620

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

What is happening:

During gaming, screen completely freezes and graphics go full-on distorted. This has happened now 3 times in a little over 1 day while playing 2 different games. It was once vertical bars unevenly spaced and lengthed, where each bar is multicolored and scratchy and obscures all graphics it covers. The other two times it was full-screen distortion where the scratchy, multicolored almost cross-hatch pattern covered almost all the graphics on screen. Sometimes pieces of the screen would still be animated and stuck in loop, sometimes it would be completely frozen. Two of the three times there has been a loud buzzing sound either constant or looping, coming directly through the speakers.

Most importantly, every time this has happened it has been a hard freeze/crash. There is no way to regain control of the computer, it has completely stopped accepting inputs including Ctrl+Alt+Del, et al. and must be forced into power down by holding the power button for several seconds.

For those curious, or if it might help, the games were both on Steam: Mirror's Edge (2 times) and XCOM Enemy Uknown (1 time.)

When it happened with just Mirror's Edge, I assumed it was some kind of fault with that game specifically...when it happened with XCOM, I became suspicious it is not so acute.

In both games and all 3 times it was exactly the same kind of crash, and did not seem to occur in sync with any particular event, such as a loading screen or screen transition. Just in the middle of regular gameplay.

What I have attempted to do:

Not really double all, as I am completely stumped. First thing I thought was graphics drivers, but they are up to date to the latest Windows Update Release, which was October 2012. I ran DXDIAG, and everything shows OK as far as I can interpret. I looked through Windows Event Viewer logs and spotted a few things that look suspicious involving WMI and SideBySide. I do not know how to interpret this information though. I also ran HWMonitor to get software readouts of my voltages and temperatures. This information is probably not useful but it's a start. I included in the following sections all of the logs I thought to grab, and a screen capture of my latest Windows Event Viewer events in case anyone wants me to post a specific log.

Computer specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.5 Ghz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
RAM: G.Skill 4 GB DDR2
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1 TB
PSU: Corsair CX500 500W

Logs:

Windows Event Viewer logs that might be pertinent
http://pastebin.com/fh8UNP6X

HWMonitor and SMBus readouts for my computer at idle
http://pastebin.com/Yw4izMhZ

More than you ever wanted to know about my computer specifications:
http://pastebin.com/4RmnirX3

Pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Final thoughts, plea:

Anyone got any ideas? Need any more info? Have any diagnostics you want me to run? I'm willing to do it all to the letter. I'd just like to figure out what is causing this. Sorry for the long post, just want to be thorough for those who may be interested in helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Your +12V rail is showing only +0.70V. This is a problem!

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cbn620

cbn620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I thought that the power reading via software on the +12V rail can vary depending on what you're running. The 3 and 5 are always showing full voltage. The 12 on this and other PSUs for me has shown variable numbers... Please correct me if I am wrong and advise. Not sure what the next step is here.

Edit:

I just checked via BIOS, and it is showing 11.92V there. That is consistent with ATX standards. I'm inclined to believe this is just an anomaly with software readings. Many of these programs tend to choke on 12V readings.

I don't have access to a multimeter, so I'm going to see if I can find someone who does who will give it a check for me, see if everything is OK in there. I'm also going to try reseating all the power plugs inside my box, and check for any corrosion on pins. I will keep an eye on the readings until I can be sure it's not the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by cbn620, 26 November 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

The minimum voltage for the +12V rail is +11.4V.

There will be variances, but nothing like what you see in that SIW screenshot.

Edit: I didn't see your edit until I posted this. That reading is within proper tolerances.

In the past I've compared the readings in SIW to what my DMM is reading, and they are close enough that I feel comfortable with the SIW readings. Obviously something is wrong if you are getting a reading that far out of normal variances. It sounds like you are on the right track for checking this out.

Let us know what you find.

Edited by dc3, 26 November 2012 - 11:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cbn620

cbn620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

My voltages have turned up completely normal. HW Monitor is still reading the 12V wonky, but everything else is telling me 11.92V exactly. Never a dip.

I also ruled out temperature on the graphics card. I found that it was running a little bit hot--not at idle, but during gaming-- so I took the graphics card out, cleaned and reseated it. It's now running a lot cooler so I thought maybe problem solved. Well, I was monitoring the temperature right as it did this freeze to me again, but the temperature was at a completely normal level.

Any help out there? Could any of the errors I showed be causing this? I'd really like to get this sorted out and I'm stumped. I need a second head.

I'm not getting any BSOD type stuff... There's no stop error happening. I'm really hoping at the very least this isn't hardware related.

Edited by cbn620, 30 November 2012 - 12:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users