Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Modular Power Supplies Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

Well, I've encountered very few modular power supplies so I don't really know what to think of them. What I'm trying to ask is how do modular power supplies compare against regular power supplies, a compare-contrast sort of thing. And on a different note have you ever seen these ,Colored cable sleeving, or have you ever installed them before, because I'm wondering if it would be a wise decision to use these if I'm having cable issues in my pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

The main difference (and I hop I'm answering your question) is that the cabling for modular PSU's can take up less room, because you only use what you need, and as such will allow better airflow. And, usually as a bonus, they look awesome, like this one ..http://www.flexiglow.com/products/SeriesConnect.htm...
On the down side, they may tend to take up a little more room (even thought the air flow will still be better) as they are unable to be bent quite as freely as standard PSU cables. If I could afford the Series Connect I would get it in a second....
Regarding cable sleeving, to install them they require that the molex plug head be removed, and you would need a tool for both the male and female versions to get it off (and put it back together). Then, depending on the sleeve design, it may require to be heat shrunk for a snug fit. With IDE ribbons, I'm not too sure, but chances are you will need to cut the ribbon (in between the wires) to fit it into the sleeve. You would probably be better off (to save the hassle) just buying premade round IDE cables (from $20 up to $50 in Australia) and you can get neon lit (will have a power plug as well) plain, or UV reactive.
Hope that helps....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the help, but i could not find a price for the series connect psu in your link. Do you know how much it is and where i could buy it?

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

Well I'm in Australia, so I'm not too sure about whether they do international sales. But you can get one here: (in AUS $)

...for $AUD209 at www.auspcmarket.com.au [go to power supplies>500W to 650W>Flexiglow 500W Power Supply]

...but these guys definitely do for $AUD219:
http://www.techbuy.com.au/product.asp?at=51&prodid=52601

Alternatively, you can go to one of those shopping search engines (like shopping.com) and put in the product code or name to see if you can find it in the USA....Hope that helps!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:10 PM

One of the complaints I've heard about modular power supplies is that you wind up with too many of one kind of adapter and too few of another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users