Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to remove ramnit from external hard dik

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gladninel

gladninel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Hi,

My pc was infected with Ramnit.A,F,H and some other viruses, as found by the eset online scanner. Since my pc didn't have much important data, i chose to reformat the entire hard disk(hence, i don't have the scan reports) and did a fresh windows 7 ultimate,32-bit install. Now the desktop is clean.

But, i am almost sure that my external hd and my dell laptop are also infected and need advice on how to get rid of them. Most of my important data (photos,music,films,etc.) resides in the external hdd and it would be very grateful if you could help me 'disinfect' the ext.hdd without losing the data.
Also, i don't have an antivirus at the moment. Which one should i go for?

Edited by gladninel, 26 November 2012 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Having some AV program on your computer is a must.

Install ONE of these:

- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

- free Microsoft Security Essentials: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials
Note for Windows 8 users: Microsoft Security Essentials comes preinstalled and renamed as Windows Defender.
You can keep it or you have to disable it before installing another AV program. How to...

- free Comodo Antivirus: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php

Now.....

Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefenderís USB Immunizer on your computer to protect it from any infected USB device.

At this point you should be safe to connect your external drive and scan it with your AV program to see if it's clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 gladninel

gladninel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Thank you so much for your response.

I've already downloaded avast and Bitdefender USB immunizer. Will do a scan tomorrow.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users