Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Host File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jospeh

jospeh

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

I have no ideas where to put this post, not sure if here is okay, please correct me if I misplace it. I have read about the tutorial page of the host file. There are a few site that have offered good host file in details, the question is, if the information is huge I mean, if its one or two line of IPs and domain name included, we could easily know if an extra line is been added, but how when it includes a large information of IPs and domain names? How do we know our host file remain the original and the IP is not modified?

Mod edit: Since the hosts file is web browser related, I've put your topic into that forum. - Platypus

Edited by Platypus, 26 November 2012 - 04:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

How do we know our host file remain the original and the IP is not modified?

This depends on the type Hosts files programs you have included -
My Hosts file includes - There are 15219 more lines starting with "127.0.0.1" -
I have downloaded HostsXpert / hpHosts / and another Hosts file also that cover many programs not covered by basic Hosts files.

Searching for answers on these forums quite often mean you like to block many sites and extras.
I also use WOT advisory program while surfing / searching on the web -
You can find others and I recomend you download MVP Hosts - Read This Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File -

Thank You -

#3 jospeh

jospeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Oic... thanks, that helps a lot.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I always keep a copy of my hosts file on a small sized removable flash drive for this singular purpose. Then if I need to compare a new one or see if any changes have been made to the existing one. I then use a text editor that has compare functionality and compare the two.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 jospeh

jospeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

What's a text editor? But can we compared the size of both files while just a simple line added or, no line added at all but a line changed instead?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Q: "What's a text editor?"

A: A text editor is a program or application that allows you to edit and or modify the data within a taxt based file such as a notepad file or a hosts file.

Two examples of a text editor are: Notepad++ and EditPad Lite

Q: "But can we compared the size of both files while just a simple line added or, no line added at all but a line changed instead?"

A: You can compare if there is a single space difference. So the answer is yes. Both differences can be found with the right parameters used.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users