Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows cannot start"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Itchy01

Itchy01

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Hi all

Anyone had a similar experience recently?

This morning, turned on laptop, black-and-grey screen you usually don't see unless you key Fsomething during bootup. "Windows cannot start" (or words to that effect) "this may be due to a recent update or...". I've had so many problems with computers you'd think I'd read the screens but I never seem to learn. I simply clicked the offered option to auto-repair which "may take several minutes".

After a half-hour or so the screen cheerfully informed me Windows had not been able to automatically repair itself and would I like to send this information (to...?) or not? I clicked yes. Then, from memory, it shut down and I restarted the computer. Or, it restarted. I need a better memory or attention. Anyhow, the expected screen arrived for my computer password, I entered it and all seemed normal.

Until I tried a Norton scan, and the Norton window told me IN RED my updates were out-of-date and automatic-update was unavailable. Then, after a bit of self-consultation, Norton added there were 4 issues to Fix - so I hit Fix and eventually everthing went reassuringly green.

Then I tried a Malwarebytes scan. Malwarebytes complained its database wasn't there - would it like me to go and get the latest one? Yes please. It did and I did a full scan only to see I had no realtime protection!!! I've left that off for the moment as Norton once advised me they prefer Norton to do the realtime Malware protection.

What has hit me? I have downloaded files from Youtube and archive.org but neither of my security programs objected. The last Windows update was on the 15th November (10 days ago) and only Norton and Malwarebytes update daily that I know. Neither of them has fought with the other to this point that I'm aware.

Computer: Toshiba Satellite L840/02K (4 months old)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) 1.65.1.1000
Norton: Norton 360 Version 6.4.0.9

Footnote - I note this thread (windows 7 pro 32bit not booting up or freezing if it does).

Cheers

Itchy01

Edited by Itchy01, 26 November 2012 - 12:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

I'm not really even sure if it's a problem at all. Sometimes PCs do really strange things - try running repair using W7 DVD to see if any problems still exists. I don't think there will be any.

That Malwarebytes-Norton fiasco you had - I think that maybe sometime during these events their definitions(or the programs themselves) were messed up. So I'd suggest that you note the license keys if any and re-install the apps.

Also, I'd suggest that you download a rescue CD, like that one provided by Kaspersky and do a full boot time system scan to make sure it wasn't some malware screwing up - although I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Hope it helps. :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 26 November 2012 - 06:10 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 Itchy01

Itchy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Cheers Alvas

I'll give that a go. Everything seems normal otherwise - fingers crossed.

Thanks

Itchy01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users