Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor issue with nVidia geforce 6200

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BladeMirage

BladeMirage

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hello all,

I am having a very recent problem regarding the use of Dual Monitor on my geforce 6200 card. Before I explain the problem, I use Windows XP on a Medion computer (unsure of model, it was second hand when I bought it years ago). And the two monitors I'm using are VGA LCD monitors, one Acer AL1912 and the other a Philip 170S. Since the graphic card got 1 VGA and 1 DVI port, I had to get the adapter to use my 2nd monitor on it.

Before I bought my 2nd monitor, I had my tower at a friend's house to get some small issues ironed out then found out I could use dual monitor so we plugged in his Benq monitor that has a DVI cable. It worked very well. So I got the VGA to DVI adapter off him and bought a 2nd monitor. It displayed 2 screens upon start up til I got to the desktop, it stopped showing dual screen with the primary only displaying and the other still on but blank.
Went through the set ups, still no luck. There was a lot of flickering when I opened the nVidia panel. It definitely recognizes a 2nd monitor is plugged in and identified its model before I grabbed the driver.

Tried everything from installing the proper drivers for the monitors to trying another adapter to bringing my 2nd monitor with the adapter attached to my friend's place to test it on his computer (which did work...). Swapped my monitors around which gave me the same Primary Active and Secondary on but blank. Scoured the internet, found someone had apparently solved the issue on the same card model but did not outline the solution which left me very frustrated...

So before I go to the point of locating a monitor with a DVI cable or grabbing a new graphic card (which none I can do considering my bad funds for a while)... is there any possible solution I can try or anyone here who have had this issue before? Hope I didn't make this too confusing :mellow:
Thanks in advance for any kind of help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

it displays ok before you get to the login screen? Sometimes, the simplest solution is the easiest-when you go into windows display manager, does it recognize the second monitor? (I have had bad experiences with NVIDIA control panel in the past, especially on windows XP with lower end cards)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 BladeMirage

BladeMirage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

It does see the second monitor and identified its exact model in the drop down box before I installed its driver. I tried swapping the monitors around as well, still the same result.

I did consider the thought that the DVI port might be fried but if it was, the second monitor wouldn't have turned on during start up at all. The DVI port type on the adapter is DVI-A if it might help with identifying the problem? :huh:

Edited by BladeMirage, 26 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

that might be it if the DVI port on the card is DVI-D, the issue maybe the adaptor.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 BladeMirage

BladeMirage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

It seems the problem has sort of cleared up when I took my tower over to my friend's for him to take another look. We've cleaned the heatsink and the contacts and he did something in the BIOS.

However it's now brought up a new issue, the heatsink isn't optimally operating. Dual monitor works but it will cut out after a few minutes of operation. What's the best program to check this?

EDIT: Just installed Afterburner and loaded up Minecraft, for something that isn't too graphic intensive, the temperature climbed 100 degrees. Think I can now safely say it's a clear case of overheating... :\

Edited by BladeMirage, 27 November 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I normally use Rivatuner, not only does it monitor temperatures, but it can change fan speeds and the like. You may look at aftermarket video card coolers, though honestly for the amount of money youd spend on one, you could watch neweggs shell shocker deals and purchase a brand new low end card that would easily outperform that 6200 and run cooler. You could take the side compartment off and run a room fan on it to keep it cool, but in my experience, with a card that old its best just to junk it and replace-seeing as you can get them for between $10-20 if you watch your sales.

Link to rivatuner
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Edited by the_patriot11, 27 November 2012 - 10:06 PM.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users