Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full Windows Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mischele2k2

Mischele2k2

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

I need to wipe my whole hard drive clean and do a whole windows reinstall. I went through Dell and found out that they're now going to charge me regardless of the $300 I spent on an extended warranty. I've done several Windows reinstalls, but I can't recall the initial sequence of commands to wipe the hard drive, reformat it and then to reinstall windows. I tried to search around here for it, but came up empty unless I'm just looking in the wrong place. Does anyone have any help/tricks/tidbits that could help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

Several questions.

1) Do you have the XP CD or a Restore\reovery CD?

2) Do you have the COA? The little sticker with 25 digits that is suppose tobe on your computer.

3) Have you saved all the data you need to disk or tape?

4) Do you have all the drivers you need downloaded to CD prior to the install?

5) Do you have yourAntiVirus, antispyware, and firewall saved and ready to install from disk? You should install all of them prior to going online. I have a recommended list.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

6) If you are have issues related to malware/virus/trojans I would recommend not only formatting your hard drive but doing a Quick Wipe. This destroys all data on a drive. It can take 12 to 36 hours depending on the size of the drive. I do this with all computer I install an OS to. You can use Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility. It is a freeware. This is not required but I recommend it. Other, I'm sure, will lend advice so you can make an informed dicission.

Here are other tograms I recommend but are also not required..

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Good luck.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

I went through Dell and found out that they're now going to charge me regardless of the $300 I spent on an extended warranty.

Unfortunately software is not covered by warranty with any computer manufacturer as far as I know. This is because there are too many things that can go wrong with software that the manufacturer has no control over. Conflicts between programs, infections, or otherwise corruptions in software have many causes that have nothing to do with a manufacturing defect.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 23 March 2006 - 10:26 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:46 AM

Unfortunately software is not covered by warranty with any computer manufacturer as far as I know. This is because there are too many things that can go wrong with software that the manufacturer has no control over.

Um, I don't think that's true. Microsoft supports XP if you buy the full version. If it's pre-installed on a computer, they will not support it because that support is supposed to come from the manufacturer, who gets the software at a very low price.

From this site:

If your Microsoft product was preinstalled, distributed with your computer, or if you obtained an upgrade directly from your computer manufacturer, your primary source for support is the personal computer manufacturer who provided your Microsoft software. Browse this alphabetical list of OEMs to find the appropriate support number.

Here's a Dell article on re-installing.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

Unfortunately software is not covered by warranty with any computer manufacturer as far as I know. This is because there are too many things that can go wrong with software that the manufacturer has no control over.
Um, I don't think that's true. Microsoft supports XP if you buy the full version. If it's pre-installed on a computer, they will not support it because that support is supposed to come from the manufacturer, who gets the software at a very low price.

You are correct on the support issue. However, support is not the same thing as warranty. Sure, Dell will 'support' the OEM version of Windows as per their license agreement with Microsoft, but that means they will handle support phone calls. If they determine that you need to reinstall Windows, then you are on your own, as their warranty will not cover this. It doesn't matter if it is the first week of ownership. Thier warranty covers defective hardware. Yes, they will support Windows, but not warranty it, again for the reasons I stated in the post above.

Although not fully explained, it appears from Mischele2k2's post that this is exactly what happened. She called Dell, they answered her questions, but will not pay for a software 'repair' as this was not covered by her extended warranty. Of course, she could have been referring to the fact that Dell wants $ for a reinstall disk, which borders on criminal, in my view (they should spend the extra $0.50 and send them with the computer in the first place, IMHO).

From a major manufacturer of computers:

XXX warrants that the original hardware product and all the internal compnents of the product that you have purchased from XXX are free from defects in materials or workmanship under normal use during the warranty period.

If your new XXX computer came with a Windows Operating System installed, XXX will give you support for the term of this warranty on the original Windows Operating System. Support is defined as assistance with questions and issues about the operating system. XXX does not warrant software products, inlcuding any software products or the operating system preinstalled on your XXX computer. All software included with your XXX computer are provided "AS IS". Sometimes issues arise, and conflicts occor between software programs. XXX is not the writer or manufacturer of software, therfore these types of issues are out of our control and are not covered under any warranty by XXX. However, often the manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers of the software may provide their own warranties directly to you, as well as direct support.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 24 March 2006 - 09:13 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

See if this helps:

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
Method 1: Reinstall Windows XP by using Windows XP
Method 2: Reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Did you get a Dell Restore disk with your computer?
If you did not, some Dell computers had a restore partition on the hard drive accessed by pressing one of the F keys before Windows begins to start.
Look at the bottom of the screen while your computer boots and see if there are any instructions for this.

If you have a Win XP Installation disk, (and a valid 25 digit Microsoft product key for this computer), start with the Win XP disk in the drive and choose new installation. Have it format the drive and install Windows XP.

Dell PC Restore by Symantec is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that have shipped on or after 7/15/2004.
For instructions on how to use this utility refer to Dell Knowledge Base article:
How do I use the Dell PC Restore by Symantec Utility?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...=en&s=dhs&cs=19

What is Dell PC Restore?

Dell PC Restore is a copy of all of the original factory software for your computer in a hidden section (partition) on your hard drive.

The process of manually reinstalling your operating system, hardware drivers, and Dell factory installed software may take two or more hours. Using Dell PC Restore, in about 10 minutes, your computer software can be restored to the same condition as it was when you first powered on your computer.

Return to Overview

What Does Dell PC Restore Restore?

Dell PC Restore will restore your computer software back to how it was when you first received it.

When you received your Dell computer the operating system, hardware drivers, and Dell software were all pre-installed. Dell PC Restore provides the ability to restore your computer back to that condition if you ever find you need to reinstall your operating system.

You will have to install any software or hardware drivers that you installed after receiving your computer. Items such as your Internet connection software, games, or separate software installed after receiving your computer will have to be installed after using Dell PC Restore.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 March 2006 - 10:25 AM.

#7 Mischele2k2

Mischele2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

Dell ALWAYS did the support on Windows for me previously. They have walked me through at least a dozen Windows reinstalls. It's been about a year since the last one which is why I couldn't remember how to initiate it. Ended up finding the info and reinstalling it. When I asked Dell why they had to charge me for support on Windows and they said that they were sued by Microsoft for giving out free technical support thus taking business away from them. Now Dell has to have certified Microsoft technicians and now they charge (the lowest) $99 for 72 hours of support which went into effect in November. Previously to that my extended warranty DID cover the hardware AND software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users