Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Hard Drive Error, All Files Hidden, Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baronvonkrug

baronvonkrug

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hi. I was browsing the web when firefox suddenly closed. I then tried to open task manager but it closed immediately so at that point I thought I must have a virus. I immediately tried to run malwarebytes, which opened and started scanning fine. However, after detecting several threats and running for about 5 minutes it suddenly closed and I received a bunch of pop-ups about hard drive errors and and one larger pop-up telling me there was a hard drive error and asking me to scan the disk. I never received any commercial type pop-ups asking me to buy malware or anything which was odd. As soon as I tried to close the main pop-up the computer immediately restarted. I tried re-booting into safe mode but all files and programs are now hidden. My desktop is black and only shows icons for firefox, chrome, and recycle bin. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I can't even run scanners off of a flash drive because flash drives aren't recognized and I have no way to navigate the file system! Please advise! Thanks. -Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Let me report this topic to appropriate helpers.
Hold on there...

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hello baronvonkrug :)

I will be helping you with your computer issue. This type of infection does place the hidden attribute on many of your files but they are typically moved to another place on the computer (away from their original locations). It is very important that you do not run any type of temporary file cleaner tools and do not empty out temporary file directories manually!.

Only do what I or another helper requests of you and we should be able to restore the files.

__

Try booting into Safe Mode and if the screen is still all black, press this sequence of keys to open the Task Manager. Ctrl+Shift+Esc
If this was successful, press File => New Task (Run...)
Another window should have opened
Type in explorer into the text-field and press ENTER.

Next, let me know which operating system you are on so I can give you the next set of instructions.
Or, let me know if you were unable to complete the steps. Give me error messages you may have encountered along the way. Be specific :)

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hello, Just letting you know I moved this to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum,where it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 baronvonkrug

baronvonkrug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. I am using Windows 7 Home Edition. Before you responded I was actually able to figure out how to open files through the task manager in safe mode like you suggested. Therefore, I ran rkill followed by a full scan with Malwarebytes (removed 5 infections). I then rebooted into normal windows and ran unhide which successfully restored my files and icons. I also had to reconfigure the taskbar manually because the configuration had been changed. For the past two days everything has seemed fine. Do you recommend that I do anything else? Should I post a log so that you can check if I am in fact clean? Thanks for your help!

#6 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

For the past two days everything has seemed fine. Do you recommend that I do anything else?

delete any previous restore points (as they may be infected), and then create a new, CLEAN, restore point. Be safe :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users