Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: badly need help selecting new computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 overclocked1

overclocked1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

I just joined and really appreciate that this forum helps people with the selection of their computer; most forums address this casually if at all. I am a 'mature' person, didn't grow up with computers and am not technically adept, nor am I familiar with much of the terminology, so this service is esp. valuable to me.
I am on a strict budget and am not sure of a specific number yet, but certainly under $700, hopefully less. I would purchase a 2011 computer if it could save me $.
I email, post in forums but don't chat, do research,surf,and write documents, on the computer. I would also like to watch movies, videos like on u-tube, and watch television on the various network sites. I like music, but could store the downloads in a dvd, couldn't I? I DO NOT LIKE GAMES. :exclame:
I want windows 7, I don't want 8. :thumbdown: I love xp but guess I can't have that, hope I don't have to learn alot of new proceedures.
I do not store alot of pictures or music.
I do not run alot of programs at the same time, I usually close one before going to another. I should add I want a desktop, prefer to have monitor on top of computer, so probably should get a compact, but no luck on finding a good one. Don't want an 'all in one'.

Thanks,
overclocked

Edited by overclocked1, 25 November 2012 - 08:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Have you considered a All In One computer? Soemthing like this HP All in One

That would be where the computer is built into the Monitor and usually the Keyboard and mouse are wireless. Look in the stores for a slightly older model with Windows 7 if you do not want windows 8.

They have their pluses and minuses. Pluses include compact, only a power wire and a Ethernet cable for internet, unless you have wireless then only one power cable. So very easy to setup and no more than one or two wires cluttering things up.

Here is an example for $599 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+20%26%2334%3B+Touch-Screen+All-In-One+Computer+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/6927755.p?id=1218814322067&skuId=6927755&st=Cyber_Sale_Computers_100928&cp=1&lp=6

Another http://www.staples.com/HP-All-in-One-Computers/cat_HC2SC1782_HC2

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 November 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Roger,
Thank you for the suggestion. I did consider 'all in one', and as mentioned, decided not to get those. Perhaps I should mention I have cable internet.

I wonder what level of processor I need to watch movies, view videos like on u-tube, and watch tv on the network websites? For ex: a core i3 or i5; what level of phenom? Forgive me if I get the terms wrong, I barely know what I am talking about. Maybe someone could explain what those are?

Thanks,
overclocked

Edited by overclocked1, 26 November 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

In terms of speed from slower to faster overall.
I3, I5, I7. The higher the number following the faster within the type.

Thus a I7-2600 will be slower than an I7-2700.

Probably an I5 will be overkill for what you want to do now. On the other hand why not be future proof. I suggested a All In One in case you think Windows 8 is in your future. That works better with a touch screen.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 blacktiger826

blacktiger826

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

Hey, welcome to the forum.
Couple things.
1. Windows XP is still alive and kicking and I know people that still use it. That being said, why not go with something new. I know you may have heard bad things about windows 8, and it being a "touch screen" OS(operating system), but I for one like it. I taught my friend, shes possibly the most tech challenged person in the world, to use it so you should have little trouble. However, if you are dead set against windows 8, windows seven is good. I personally loved it and still have 2 computers running it. There is another option of course, which is to simply buy a windows xp disk and install it onto your new computer that way since I dont think "mainstream" computers such as hp and dell supply windows xp anymore on their systems.

2. For what your needs are you really dont need much. Honestly, microsoft word and youtube are some of the simplest things a computer can be "asked" to do and I think you should be able to find a good one at 500$ish. At most I would say an i3 processor or any phenom or athelon processor. an i5 or the AMD(the people who make phenom and athelon) equivalent would simply be overkill.

In terms of watching movies, ill assume you want decent quality but nothing groundbreaking since your budget is around 700$. At that price, unless you look at an all-in-one, the monitor that comes with the desktop will be basic. It will still be decent however and that seems to be what you are looking for.

In conclusion, the computer that you need doesnt seem to be very powerful. A basic desktop can satisfy your needs quite easily. Personally I say stay away from compaq(i think this was the company you were referring to) as they are HP's low end brand.

For mainstream/widely known brands, I would say go for a cheap HP. While they are not anything amazing in the tech world, for basic users Id argue that they are the best. Maybe even a cheap dell or lenovo....hmmm

#6 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Well thanks Blacktiger, for this helpful information. I wish I'd talked with you sooner as I went ahead and bought a computer yesterday. But hey, did I get a deal! :thumbsup: i5 quad core in a rated machine, baby, under $600. Other very nice features. My investment for the future. And windows 7. You won't find much left with 7, when you go to sites offering computers with 7 you get messages saying 'out of stock', discontinued, so on. Some of the very same computers now have windows 8. Dell and microsoft, all powerful: 'you will use windows 8!' :bowdown: I am going for an inexpensive led lit lcd monitor for now. The eye strain can't be worse than on my crt; yes I still have one.

Overclocked

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

I think you will be happy with the speed of the I5 and I prefer Windows 7 on a personal level.

I have dealt with people in the past that bought good enough and a few years later they wished they had gone fancier.

Windows XP is still around, however Finding drivers for it on new brand name computers can be very tough anymore. And Windows 7 is more secure and has more supported time ahead of it.

Take a few moments with the new computer and make at least one, preferably two sets of recovery DVDs in case of future need. A Typical set would be 3 or 4 DVDs. Use a good quality media.

This way in case of a severe virus or hard drive going bad you can get back up and running with the least amount of problems.

One other tip. Make sure you keep a good Antivirus running. So many of the infected computers I've seen were due to expired, not updated or no longer active AntiVirus installs.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 blacktiger826

blacktiger826

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Looks like a good computer. As rotor/roger said, alot of people do wish they purchased more later on when buying computers. Also hes right that windows 7 is more secure, though my no means does that mean xp was bad in terms of security.
Anyway, I think what you bought is perfect. For what you are using it for it should be a fast system, and it was a good price. Good Luck with your new computer!

blacktiger

#9 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

Thanks Guys. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Overclocked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users