Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feedback on Buying a Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stovepipe

Stovepipe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I am buying a gaming computer. I called a local place and here is what they came up with:

DUAL VIDEO SLI-SYSTEM
INTEL i-7 3.4 S1155
INTEL Mainboard DZ68BC Sound/NIC/USB
16GB RAM- Kingston 4x4
256 GB OCZ AGILITY BOOT DRIVE
2TB STORAGE DRIVE D: (for data and Media)
MID or FULL TOWER CASE, BLACK
700watt CoolerMaster Power Supply for SLI
DUAL nVidia GTX570, 1280 memory in SLI Setup
DVD RW SONY BLACK
WIN 7 Business 64Bit OEM DVD
Single Video Card (no SLI) deduct $279.00
Setup and Optimized, latest video drivers
================================================
Parts $1,945.00
Labor $ 150.00
SLI add $ 25.00

Sub $2,120.00
Tax $ 179.91
================================================
Total $2,299.91

SPECIAL ORDER ITEM PREPAY
Exotic or customer Gamers Case add $150-250 dep. on model.
3- 5 year MFG warranties on all items except case and DVD (1 year)
We will process your parts warranties during the 1st year no charge.

Is this a good deal? Is this a very high end gaming machine, potentially? I want to be able to buy the high end new PC games and I want a computer that can handle them, with ease. One of my concerns is the way the invoice is broken down it doesn't give the prices of the individual parts. I don't mind paying for someone else to put everything together, however, its two things that concern me 1) I want to get a very, very good machine 2)Nobody wants to get grossly overcharged.

My "feeling" is that these folks are honest, good people. Another question, why would I want anything to do with Windows 7 Business. Shouldn't I want Windows 8? Is going this route the best idea for a gaming machine or would you recommend something else entirely?

Thank You for your feedback.

Edited by bloopie, 17 February 2013 - 07:30 PM.
Moved from System building to a more appropriate forum. ~bloopie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I build systems and overall the price seems to be reasonable given the type and quality of the parts. My only question would be do you need a super high end gaming system? In other words one Nvidia GTX570 should be enough to play almost any games that are out right now. When using SLI yyou'll also notice that your second video card (and so on) will not run at the full rate. The first card most likely will run at full speed (16x) but each card afterwards will run slower. Albeit added together they will be faster than a single card but you won't be running at full capacity of the cards processor because you can't.

The amount of RAM is also another consideration. I build mostly with AMD processors but I know Intel is a little better at utilizing excess RAM. Anything over 6-8Gb is a little overkill again, unless your looking for a high end gaming system.

The OCZ 256Gb SSD is a good idea and will give you screaming speed. I currently use 4 different SSD's and I can attest to their speed and ease of use. Well worth the money. However 2Tb's of storage for an HDD? That's a little much IMO. A 1Tb would probably be more than enough for you for the next few years unless you plan on saving a lot of movies?

I'm not criticizing what they offering you at all. I am saying your probably going to be paying more for what you will probably either not need or ever use. One thing to keep in mind is this system is only going to last you a finite amount of time, probably 3-5 yrs at best. It will continue running but with the advent of new technologies on the horizon you may be putting all your eggs into one basket?

Something else to keep in mind is the heat from the Intel i7 processors in my experience is pretty high a lot of times, especially if you decide to overclock. I would take whatever you might save in eliminating one GPU (video card) and possibly RAM or a 1Tb HDD and put it towards a Corsair H100i enclosed watercooling unit. You'll thank me for it later :)!

#3 Stovepipe

Stovepipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

I build systems and overall the price seems to be reasonable given the type and quality of the parts. My only question would be do you need a super high end gaming system? In other words one Nvidia GTX570 should be enough to play almost any games that are out right now. When using SLI yyou'll also notice that your second video card (and so on) will not run at the full rate. The first card most likely will run at full speed (16x) but each card afterwards will run slower. Albeit added together they will be faster than a single card but you won't be running at full capacity of the cards processor because you can't.

The amount of RAM is also another consideration. I build mostly with AMD processors but I know Intel is a little better at utilizing excess RAM. Anything over 6-8Gb is a little overkill again, unless your looking for a high end gaming system.

The OCZ 256Gb SSD is a good idea and will give you screaming speed. I currently use 4 different SSD's and I can attest to their speed and ease of use. Well worth the money. However 2Tb's of storage for an HDD? That's a little much IMO. A 1Tb would probably be more than enough for you for the next few years unless you plan on saving a lot of movies?

I'm not criticizing what they offering you at all. I am saying your probably going to be paying more for what you will probably either not need or ever use. One thing to keep in mind is this system is only going to last you a finite amount of time, probably 3-5 yrs at best. It will continue running but with the advent of new technologies on the horizon you may be putting all your eggs into one basket?

Something else to keep in mind is the heat from the Intel i7 processors in my experience is pretty high a lot of times, especially if you decide to overclock. I would take whatever you might save in eliminating one GPU (video card) and possibly RAM or a 1Tb HDD and put it towards a Corsair H100i enclosed watercooling unit. You'll thank me for it later :)!

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

#4 Stovepipe

Stovepipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

OK, I am still working on this.  What do you guys think of this set up from origins pc for $3500 ??  I know its cheaper to build it myself but that is not my area of expertise - at all.  Origins gets strong reviews on cnet.

Customizations:

Corsair 650D

Exterior: Not Painted

Truly Custom PC's. Want a component that is not on our site? Call or email us and we will include it in your

system.

Green LED

ORIGIN High-Performance Ultra Silent Fans - Black

EVGA Z77 FTW (USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s)

ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling Systems

Overclocked Intel Core i7 3770K Quad-Core (4.1GHz-4.4GHz), 8MB Cache

750 Watt Corsair TX750M

Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 680

ORIGIN Professional Graphics Card Overclocking

16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz (2x8GB)

Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

256GB OCZ Vector

2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

24X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability (No DVD Playback Software for Windows 8

Included)

On Board Audio

Onboard Network Port

ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor

1 Year Part Replacement and Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support

ORIGIN Recovery USB Flash Drive

No Part Upgrade Service

ORIGIN PC T-Shirt XLarge

Steam (The Ultimate Online Game Platform)

Origin PC NEXUS In-Game Support Chat Client

FREE Massive Multiplayer Online Game: Runes of Magic

FREE Massive Multiplayer Online Game: League of Legends

FREE Assassin's Creed III Download w/Purchase of Nvidia Graphics Card

Microsoft Internet Explorer

Google Chrome

Mozilla Firefox

Additional Charges:

Product Subtotal: 3,456.00

Shipping: TBD

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Looks goodthumbup2.gif

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Are you building or buying this PC?

3939.png

#7 Stovepipe

Stovepipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Are you building or buying this PC?

buying

#8 scragnoff

scragnoff

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

With a budget like that, I would suggest you check out pre-built pcs with the new nVidia GTX Titan video card.  Here's a site showing the prospective sellers:  http://www.nvidia.com/titan-graphics-card/where-to-buy.

And don't forget to show us pictures of your new rig! icon_thumb.gif

Logical Increments - The PC builder's friend. Always free. Always Awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users