Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't power up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I have a fairly old Gateway(about 6-8 years old)desktop, model 507GR that runs Windows XP and tonight I am not able to power it up. Nothing happens when I press the power button. I have unplugged and replugged it in, have brushed away any dust, still won't turn on. I see a green light next to the power source on the back of the machine that is flashing quickly. When I unplug the power, it flashes slower. Would anyone have ideas as to what might be the issue and if it we're able to fix it.

many thanks.

Edited by tobyo, 25 November 2012 - 07:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

My standard diag on these:

Unplug it for 5 minutes, plug it in again, retest.

Pull the side cover, check for bulged or blown capacitors, especially near the CPU. Any cap problems, you either need a new motherboard or some elementary soldering skills.

Does the power supply carry the "Bestec" label on it? If so..........it is likely PSU time. Once you get around the 4-5 year mark, those PSUs drop like flies.

PSUs are the problem about 85% of the time, bad motherboard/capacitors the remaining percentage. I have yet to run into another cause for a PSU light blinking.

You can go further with testing if you have a meter. Unplug the main connector from the motherboard (20-24 pin ATX), short the green wire to any black wire on the connector and the PSU should power up. Find a spare connector, yellow to black 12V, red to black 5V.

Honestly, I cheat and just throw another PSU at it and see if it boots as time is money. I found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026, $17 after rebate.

Edited by dpunisher, 25 November 2012 - 08:45 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

am trying the unplug, plug it back in. but really don't think that will work. certainly worth a try! the other stuff....well, a bit way beyond my knowledge. so, assuming the unplug doesn't work, is this something I could take to my favorite computer repair place for them to fix?

the other thing I wondered was if it was just that the switch that turns on the PC is broken? but perhaps not since I've got that green blinking light huh?

I wish I knew what you meant by this:

Honestly, I cheat and just throw another PSU at it and see if it boots as time is money.

would love to try that, alas, haven't a clue how to do it....but I do appreciate the reply. at least I have something to say when I call my favorite computer repair place tomorrow. thank you so much!

Edited by tobyo, 25 November 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Thats one of the advantages I have doing this for a living, I got a lot of old/test PSUs laying around. I don't waste time testing voltages per se, I just hook up a known good power supply and go from there. Thats your most reliable test method..."retest with known good part". I can understand the frustration of having to to burn time testing by the book.

As far as plugging and unplugging, sometimes that fixes a PSU that gets zapped by a spike/surge or other line problem. I had a few "Deer" PSUs that responded to that simple fix. Not likely to fix anything, but it is a first step....and it doesn't cost anything.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

the unplug/plug back in did not work.

I'd rather not monkey with something I have no experience with, ie, finding/testing a PSU. so I'm back to calling my computer repair place to see if they can fix it quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users