Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Brand of ADSL2+ Modem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drift_91

Drift_91

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hey, I plan on replacing my modem when I switch to a new ISP in the near future. I'm wondering what's the best modem manufacturer today? My friend who's a student in network engineering says that Motorola's not top-notch anymore. I'm looking for a bridge-only modem with absolutely no router functionality built-in. Anyone got any suggestions?

Edit: Moved topic from Networking to the more appropriate forum, since you do not want any sort of routing or home network capability. ~ Animal
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

The International Malware Epidemic, coming soon to a PC near you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

You should contact your Internet provider first if changing to any other brand or type of modem/router would be compatible as most ISP use their propriety network device when subscribing to their internet service.

Tekken

#3 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Most ISPs in Canada allow you to use your own hardware. Even most of the ones that use proprietary hardware still work with other brands of modems. You just need to be able to use PPPoE and you're good.
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I do not know of any modem with great features to compare aside from a modem/router combo which are very common nowadays. Other members and experts would be able to provide you some list. You could look for some major brands of modem with <Reviews> while waiting for someone to chime in.

Tekken

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

As suggested you should be able to find a list of approved hardware from your ISP. Then work from that list. I have never heard of 'plug in anything to our network and you're good policy'. Every ISP I have ever worked with, including ones in Canada have an approved hardware list. Sometimes they aren't all that forthcoming to induce you renting theirs for more money. But when pushed they will reveal the list.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

On a general note, "best" can have so many connotations. Value for money, technically advanced, easy to use, greatest range, cheapest, most trendy, IT techs fave, how much money the manufacturers paid reviewers etc.

#7 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

As suggested you should be able to find a list of approved hardware from your ISP. Then work from that list. I have never heard of 'plug in anything to our network and you're good policy'. Every ISP I have ever worked with, including ones in Canada have an approved hardware list. Sometimes they aren't all that forthcoming to induce you renting theirs for more money. But when pushed they will reveal the list.

That tends to be the case when you deal with big corporate guys like Bell, Cogeco and Rogers. But I always avoid them at all costs. In fact most tech savvy individuals in Canada go with indie ISPs, most of which allow you to buy your own hardware. My current ISP ncf.ca, as well as my planned ISP Acanac, sell their own hardware. But they also tell you right on the order page that you can use any old hardware you have laying around from your old ISP or something you got at a garage sale or on eBay.

On a general note, "best" can have so many connotations. Value for money, technically advanced, easy to use, greatest range, cheapest, most trendy, IT techs fave, how much money the manufacturers paid reviewers etc.

I'm basically looking for whatever gives the best performance and reliability. Something that isn't sensitive to line noise and such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users