Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA-II Laptop Hard Drive in Desktop Hard Drive Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drift_91

Drift_91

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hey, I have a SATA apple laptop hard drive that I took out of a smashed up MacBook. I need to get the data off of it. I took it to my local computer shop with another hard drive for them to copy the partition over. However the desktop hard drive literally burst into flames when they plugged it in. They did say that the apple hard drive was in good shape and they could read the data from it. What I want to know, is if I plug the SATA **laptop** drive into a Vantec SATA **desktop** enclosure, will I fry the drive? I've heard about someone frying their drive with a cheaper enclosure, I'm not sure if the Vantec would do the same. It seems pretty dumb to me to attach the desktop voltage wires to the laptop pins on the plug, but that's what one manufacturer does apparently.
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

The International Malware Epidemic, coming soon to a PC near you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

for what its worth.
I have hooked many laptop SATA hard drives to Desktop power cables and data cables and used them that way for cloning or data recovery. I've never had a problem doing so.

I've also used a adapter to hookup laptop IDE drives to desktop Data and power cables. Again no problem.

The SATA laptop drive does not connect all the lines from the power plug to the electronics. Only the 5 Volt line is used so no problem.
The reason for IDE working is that the power connector on the IDE adapter only feeds the 5 volt line to the drive.

Why not play safe if it worries you and get a external drive enclosure that is designed for 2.5" SATA laptop drives to USB and do it that way. The USB port(s) should provide the needed power based on past experiences. I say port(s) as some enclosures need to use two ports, one for data and one for power. That depends on the design.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 November 2012 - 11:30 AM.
Minor content changes

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Drift_91

Drift_91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Well, I got myself a drive enclosure for it since I'm pretty paranoid about loosing the data on the drive. It was only $25, I thought it would be closer to about $40.
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

The International Malware Epidemic, coming soon to a PC near you.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Good Luck

Let us know how you make out. If you need further help recovering data there are people here that are good at it.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users