Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way of finding useless GBs on my C drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 topeira

topeira

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

hi everyone.

i used to have about 2GB of free HDD space on my C: drive about a couple of weeks ago. i never install things on C: (where windows is) but only on D: and E:.
i know 2GB isnt enough for win7 but i had no issues with this amount of space.
however now i have about 400MB which is too little and gets little every few days for a reason i dont understand. i know certain games have their save files on C: but im regulating
the save folders of my newer games and they are always small and meaningless.
i am afraid i have some temporary files that windows used for isntalling stuff and never removed these files, or something else that got bloated on my HDD and was never deleted.

i tried disk cleanup (didnt help much at all) and i looked in c:\windows\temp ( empty) but something is fishy around here.

i had an issue a few days ago where the computer wouldnt restart without a BSOD first (the BSOD on restart has resolved itself, somehow) so maybe that was a period where files didnt get deleted properly. i dont know.

in any case - i want to clear room on C:. i never install programs on C: so it's weird that it gets clogged. i would appreciate any help on what is the best way to look for unnecessary files in c: or just plain big files i could delete.

dont tell me to get a new Harddrive :P i am aware of the option ;)

thanks.

Edited by topeira, 25 November 2012 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

System Restore keeps saving restore points which caused that file to continue to grow, and it grows prodigiously.

The following is from Answers Microsoft.

"The culprit is probably System Restore.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup. Select to clean up the files for All Users.

You can also select the Clean Up System Files button. This will show a new Tab called More Options. Click this tab and in the System Restore and Shadow Copies section, click the Cleanup Button. This will delete all but the most recent System Restore Point.

To configure the amount of disk space that System Restore is allowed to use:

Open Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings.

Select the System Protection Tab.

In the Protection Settings box, select the System Drive (Usually C:).

Click the Configure Button.

In the Disk Space Usage section, use the slider to change the amount of disk space allocated to System Restore.

Apply/OK."

Edited by dc3, 25 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 topeira

topeira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

thanks DC3. that helped a little bit. added about 600MB of free space.

sadly i still cant see where is another more than 1GB that has gone MIA.
i know that im gonna keep working on my computer, installing or uninstalling stuff (on other drives) and get clogged again in less than 2 weeks.

anyone else with other ideas?!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

#5 topeira

topeira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

thanks, allan. that's a very helpful tool!!

since i opened another thread a week ago about the BSOD issue i was recommended to use combofix and after running that i managed to gain 5GB of free HDD space on C:. OMG. :-O
so for now - im good.

appreciate all the help, ppl.

#6 cbn620

cbn620

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

I recommend WinDirStat because it is 100% free and gives you a visualization to help determine what is taking up what space. It compiles a simple graphic of colored boxes--the bigger the box, the more space. Highlighting over it shows the exact location. Right clicking and selecting the option to open location will launch an explorer window in the place where the file is located so you can delete it.

http://windirstat.info/

Usually the culprit when someone is wondering why they can't account for multiple GBs of data, it is either system restore or the pagefile. This is otherwise known as virtual memory. The size of the pagefile can be adjusted in Windows to free up space, but depending on a number of factors it may be best to leave it alone. If you do decide to change the pagefile size, for future reference here is how:

Hit the Windows key on your keyboard and type "virtual memory." "How to change the size of virtual memory" should be a search option under Control Panel. This will take you through all the steps and has a handy link to System, which is where you will need to navigate to in order to adjust it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by cbn620, 26 November 2012 - 09:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users