Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terminal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

none of the commands seem to work

My opening prompt is bash 3.2 and that's it.

Isn't it supposed to be somewhere else. All the things I've read seem to have something besides bash 3.2

The disk is not bad but its stuck on spinning wheel and if I can't fix it in terminal I'll have to wipe it out and lose all my pictures so please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Can you please give a little more detail to what you are trying to do and what distro you are using?

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Can you please give a little more detail to what you are trying to do and what distro you are using?

What is a distro?

Basically I am trying to deal with a problem that seems to be some sort of SCRIPT that is jamming up the system. I keep getting messages about scripts running that I can't turn off because the second I touch the mouse to click YES STOP SCRIPT the ball starts spinning and Ii get nowhere.

So i am trying to use Terminal since regular everyday usages of the computer have not existed for over a month. For one day I did get to use the cache tool in Onyx but that made the spinning worse than ever and now the whole thing is non functioning since you can't do anything but watch the ball do its eternal spin.

I have downloaded apple jack and can use it in Terminal I just can't find what the prompt should be starting out because the one I have just says not found

I just want to know how to use Terminal to get some response from it other than not found.

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

A lot of people use Terminal but I can't seem to get one simple answer as to how to tell if I am in the right place in Terminal to actually do something. Right now Terminal's opening prompt is bash 3.2 and none of the tutorials or anything I read says anything about bash 3.2 - they say stuff like Welcome to (whatever their computer is named? or what)

How do I get to the WELCOME TO _____ prompt?

That seems to be the starting point but I don't know how to get there.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

if it has that, you're in the terminal, right where you need to be.

As for what it is you plan on doing there, I wouldn't know where to begin since I don't know what it is you want to try accomplishing or how you intend to accomplish it.

Do you have a plan of action? Have you searched for answers concerning whatever you perceive as the problem?

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

if it has that, you're in the terminal, right where you need to be.

As for what it is you plan on doing there, I wouldn't know where to begin since I don't know what it is you want to try accomplishing or how you intend to accomplish it.

Do you have a plan of action? Have you searched for answers concerning whatever you perceive as the problem?

Thanks, yes, I have a basic knowledge of how to use applejack in terminal I just need to get there.

Why do none of the commands seem to work?

I have been reading about the command "sudo" which seems to have something to do with the prompt here:

http://superuser.com/questions/400583/how-to-change-from-bash-3-2-to-userlocalhost-in-unix

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-276773.html

which I think I will follow up on. I'm just getting started on Terminal and trying to find my way anyway the above URL seems to answer my question about the bash prompt versus user, sort of.

Edited by kcsummer, 26 November 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#7 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

Have you read the manpage (man applejack) as instructed on the website? Also according to the website, there should be a menu when you run it. And there should be a ReadMe.rtf that explains how to use it.

Have you looked into any/all of those?

I don't use Mac and can't be much help. My wife does, but I only touch her machine(s) when there's need to fix something or have something installed, so I can't play around.

#8 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Have you read the manpage (man applejack) as instructed on the website? Also according to the website, there should be a menu when you run it. And there should be a ReadMe.rtf that explains how to use it.

I don't use Mac and can't be much help. My wife does, but I only touch her machine(s) when there's need to fix something or have something installed, so I can't play around.

Yes when I managed to install applejack there was a readme file and it recommended printing out the information however because of my computer being mostly nonfunctional so was my printer as far as being connected and responding to the MAC.

That is what has been so frustrating about this is that not only is there a big problem but that trying to fix it in the condition its in is like having your hands tied.

I'm still working on just being able to get to a point in Terminal where I can actually do something.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

#9 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

What is a distro?

Sounds like you are using UNIX and not GNU/Linux. Unfortunately I don't know anything about UNIX.

A Linux distribution is a member of the family of Unix-like operating systems built on top of the Linux kernel. Such distributions (often called distros for short) are operating systems including a large collection of software applications such as word processors, spreadsheets, media players, and database applications. These operating systems consist of the Linux kernel and, usually, a set of libraries and utilities from the GNU Project, with graphics support from the X Window System. Distributions optimized for size may not contain X and tend to use more compact alternatives to the GNU utilities, such as BusyBox, uClibc, or dietlibc. There are currently over six hundred Linux distributions. Over three hundred of those are in active development, constantly being revised and improved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

#10 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Yes when I managed to install applejack there was a readme file and it recommended printing out the information however because of my computer being mostly nonfunctional so was my printer as far as being connected and responding to the MAC.

That is what has been so frustrating about this is that not only is there a big problem but that trying to fix it in the condition its in is like having your hands tied.

I'm still working on just being able to get to a point in Terminal where I can actually do something.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

I'm sorry - I have written on so many sites seeking answers that I really don't want to go into detail over and over - my fault.

But the subject and opening here say a lot. It's listed under TERMINAL. It says none of the commands/prompts work. None, as in zero. So it doesn't really matter what I'm trying to do until I find out if I am at the right prompt to get anywhere. I don't want to waste time trying to get prompts / commands to work if I ain't in the right place. I said my Terminal prompt reads Bash 3.2 - is that right or is it supposed to be something else. How many ways are there to say: What is the opening prompt supposed to be.

You asked for detail but I just wanted to know what the opening prompt is supposed to be. I'm trying to be logical and take things one at a time instead of my usual panic mode. So first what is the prompt.

You asked for more info and I gave a lengthy paragraph about not being able to use my computer and having to use Terminal to fix the disk (does it matter what program I want to use? - the entire computer isn't working) and I said that from the beginning I have gotten script running error message.

People keep asking me to explain when ALL WANT is to know what the opening prompt is supposed to be.

Why is that so hard?

I'm not trying to be rude, I am frustrated. I tried to join a site which specialized in Linux and I saw exactly the topic I need (PERFECT! :thumbup2:) so I asked to join and was denied because I was allegedly a spammer so I wrote because that's what they said to do and I said Registration denied in the subject line and I am not a spammer in the text.

Now it would seem logical to me that i was writing about the Subject Line - why would i put a subject other than what I wanted. I said I'm not a spammer. I figure its pretty clear that this is where they say to write with problems and so I wrote about Registration denied and said I'm not a spammer. I didn't go long winded about it because I thought, I guess falsely, it was clear that I was denied and wanted help as they suggested because I'm not a Spammer. Then I said I don't know why I was denied.

So his response is IN TOTAL : "I don't either?"

WTF is that about? So I wrote back and said that's all you have to say? No help no nothing.

He wrote back and said you didn't say what you wanted. Am I supposed to read your mind?

Normally I get very verbose but I'm trying to curtail that not everyone wants to read my blah blah but now I have people all around me who respond to my questions with more questions that never address why I started this topic.

I WANT to know what the opening prompt is on Terminal

The rest of the problem i will deal with as soon as i figure if I am wasting my time because I don't have the right prompt.:dance:

This isn't the only place I've visited although it is the one I like the most because people are generally very helpful and nice.as I'm sure you are trying to be as well.

I'm just tired of writing gospels all across the internet when I just want an answer to the question: What is the prompt supposed to be. I know I need Linus help because its an Apple computer which uses Linux on their Terminal :wink:

Like I said, I am not trying to be rude, I am trying to explain why I am frustrated that all I seem to be doing is answering questions and the one I asked is ignored. :crazy:

Edited by kcsummer, 29 November 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#11 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

The problem is that you have not listed what OS you are using nor the commands you are trying to run. It would really help if you could post pictures of your screen so we could see at least what you have tried and the exact errors given.

Basically what other people said is correct. You have not given really any information that can be used to help find the problem. We have no idea what you are trying to do nor your skill levels with computers. You said "but its stuck on spinning wheel" which sounds more like a hardware problem. You also keep saying "opening prompt" which I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 01 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#12 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

The problem is that you have not listed what OS you are using nor the commands you are trying to run. It would really help if you could post pictures of your screen so we could see at least what you have tried and the exact errors given.

Basically what other people said is correct. You have not given really any information that can be used to help find the problem. We have no idea what you are trying to do nor your skill levels with computers. You said "but its stuck on spinning wheel" which sounds more like a hardware problem. You also keep saying "opening prompt" which I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

The problem is that you apparently must have English as your second language as you clearly can't read and/or comprehend what I wrote.

I disagree with your opinion what the problem is and since I started the thread and know what advice I'm seeking (about Terminal) your presence here is baffling. Do you always hang out in discussions about topics that you obviously know nothing about. It doesn't matter, as I said, what commands I want to use until I get an answer to MY QUESTION. I asked for information about the opening prompt of Terminal. I did not ask for advice here about anything else. I am not obliged to answer your questions especially about subjects I did not ask for help with however I did respond to your questions but playtime is over - aren't you supposed to be in bed?

You said you know nothing about Terminal, how it works. With that in mind why do you persist coming here telling me what you and other people are asking for that I'm not giving.

I'm not here for your assessment of what my problems are but now that you mention it your harrassment is a problem. I came here for advice from people knowledgeable about Terminal which leaves you and your advice OUT.

I do consider your ongoing advice about stuff other than the topic to be harrassment. I've tried to be courteous but you've gotten on my last nerve so buzz off.

Edited by kcsummer, 01 December 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

A lot of people use Terminal but I can't seem to get one simple answer as to how to tell if I am in the right place in Terminal to actually do something. Right now Terminal's opening prompt is bash 3.2 and none of the tutorials or anything I read says anything about bash 3.2 - they say stuff like Welcome to (whatever their computer is named? or what)

How do I get to the WELCOME TO _____ prompt?

That seems to be the starting point but I don't know how to get there.

People keep asking me to explain when ALL WANT is to know what the opening prompt is supposed to be.

For the illiterate and the brain-damaged please try to read anyway. I know its a struggle but give it your best shot. SEE ABOVE! :mellow:

Edited by kcsummer, 01 December 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#14 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Please, this thread has me on the edge of my seat. Could you at least tell us what the make and model of this computer is? I mean come on, throw us a bone.

From what you posted above in the OP

The disk is not bad but its stuck on spinning wheel and if I can't fix it in terminal..

and later on here

Yes when I managed to install applejack there was a readme file and it recommended printing out the information however because of my computer being mostly nonfunctional...

your disk is dead or dying, and thus your OS is corrupted, or can't be read by the terminal.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#15 fanderal

fanderal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

1. Applejack is for the MacOS only... perhaps this thread should be moved to the Mac forum?

2. Applejack is a collection of utility scripts with a terminal interface... the Applejack terminal and a GNU/Linux terminal are different, and what applies to one does not apply to the other.

3. A similar question was asked by the OP, and answered, in the Unix/Linux forums in the thread, "COMMAND LINE" in November

@kcsummer
Dunno if it'll help but note the required startup in single-user mode, and the Caveats section, in the link provided in the above thread. The Applejack Project Page linked in the second paragraph of the article also has specific info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users