Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 - won't open, won't un-install won't do ... all!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tradingplaces

tradingplaces

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

Have XP Home - SP3 - 32bit.

I downloaded IE8 about 2 weeks ago & ever since that time it will not open, not even in 'safe mode'.

Have read previous posts and offered solutions plus by now I think I must have tried all the Microsoft 'Fix It' tools - all to no avail. My PC has no malware or spyware on it.

Firefox is my working browser but I need IE to check my websites show OK when I update them. (Chrome & Safari work fine).

I thought simply uninstalling IE8 and downloading again would be a short cut to solve my problem but it isn't. When I open the IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU self-extracting cabinet file it starts coming up with endless files that it cannot find and is unable to copy. I end up going :crazy: hitting the re-try button followed eventually clicking the 'continue' button when I get the message 'do you want to continue without copying this file'. I also thought I'd use System Restore to take my config back to a time when IE (don't remember the version) did work - but then I remembered that my Sys Restore hasn't worked for long time :wacko:

I've had a few days break from trying to find a solution and now I'm back on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to what I try to do to get IE8 working.

Thanks in advance
Nigel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

We can remove IE 8 manually

Go to

C:\program files\Internet explorer folder

Delete all the files and folders.Ignore if you receive warning messages.

Browse to Connection wizard folder and manually remove the left over files.Ignore the files that gives access denied errors

Restart the PC,Download IE 8 from here

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/C/0/CC0BD555-33DD-411E-936B-73AC6F95AE11/IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe

Install it,restart the PC and see if that helps.

#3 tradingplaces

tradingplaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Narenxp.

I followed your instructions. I found that even though I deleted the files, some of them simply 'popped back' into the folder about 5 seconds after I clicked on delete. That applied to some files in both the Internet Explorer & Connection Wizard Folder's - I attach screen shots of those two folders and the files that just won't delete (I tried deleting each one of them 3 times.) Afterwards I also tried deleting the complete Connection Wizard Folder but got the attached screen shot msg about closing all other programmes but, even when I closed down all but my AVG security software (AVG 2013 Free), the same message came up.

Despite not getting rid of all the files, I decided to carry on following your instructions so shut down, restarted PC and and proceed to downlaod & install IE8 from the link you kindly provided. I ended up with the same 'Installation Failed' mesg that I've seen 'oh' many times over the past week or so <_< . I attach a screen shot of that msg as well.

Is there another way perhaps, of getting to the these files and deleting them from wherever that is? I don't know if it is relevant to my IE8 problem, but I think it was around the same time that my Outlook Express mail package also went on the :blink:, by not allowing the use of the 'delete key' (hence I'm now always having to use the backspace key for any text correction) and also the 'Picture' icon under 'Insert' in the new mail tool bar at the top, is greyed out and hence not functioning - fyi, the only icon under insert that is 'live' is the first one, 'File Attachment'). Both a pain for me from a user point of view but having searched and found endless similar 'delete key not working in Express' articles on the Web starting back in 2008!, and no single accepted correct solution, I decided to live with it for a while whilst I tried to sort the IE8 prob - I mention it now in case it is relevant to helps re my IE8 problem.

Further suggestions will be appreciated from your good-self or anyone else who might be reading this topic.

Many Thanks
Nigel

DRAT!! I can't see anywhere on this Forumn the 'attach' a file icon that appears in the XP Forumn?
If it's somewhere I cannot stupidly see!, can you tell me where it is - other than that, I will have to type below what now still appears in the 2 folders:
Internet Explorer Folder:
hmmapi.dll..................File version 8.0.6001.18702
iedw IE Crash Detection.....File Version 5.1.2600.5512
ie Explore (icon)...........File version 8.0.6001.18702
Connection Wizard folder

Connection Wizard Folder

icwconn.dll...............File version 6.0.2900.5512
icwhelp.dll................File version 6.0.2900.5512
icwutil.dll..................File version 6.0.2900.5512
isignup.....................File version 6.0.2600.0
inetwiz.....................File version 6.0.2900.5512
icwtutor....................File version 6.0.2600.0
icwres.dll..................File version 6.0.2600.0
icwconn1..................File version 6.0.2900.5512
icwrmind...................File version 6.0.2900.5512
icwdl.dll....................File version 6.0.2900.5512
icwconn2..................File version 6.0.2900.5512
trialoc.dll..................File version 6.0.2600.0

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Press Windows+R key and type

cmd and click ok and run this command

cd "\Program Files\Internet Explorer" /p guest:n

Press Y and <ENTER>

Restart the PC and run this command

cd "\Program Files\Internet Explorer" /p everyone:f

Press Y and <ENTER>

Try to delete the files manually now.Restart the PC and reinstall IE 8

#5 tradingplaces

tradingplaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Apologises for delay narenxp - just tried your instructions.

1. Using ...cd... at the start of the command I finally ended up with, "The system cannot find the specified path."
2. Then I wondered if the ...cd... stood for compact disc and you wanted me to put in my XP cd (which I haven't got as it was pre-loaded) and so instead of ...cd..., I tried the same commands just using...c.... It didn't make any difference as I ended up with exactly the same 'cannot find path' message.

Before sending this msg I thought I would just try once more deleting the remaining files as specified in my last msg but they just keep popping back as before. <_<

Any other thoughts?

Thanks once again
Nigel

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Copy and paste the commands.Do not type it.

If you have a folder called C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer,it should work

#7 tradingplaces

tradingplaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

I just did as you requested - still the same message of 'can't find the stated path'.
And just to confirm, I do have a Folder in C Program Files called 'Internet Explorer'.
btw - yesterday when I typed in the commands, I closed the 'Run' box. Today I didn't, I just left it open & used 'Start' and selected 'Restart'- I did this just in case that was what I should do as your instruction just says after doing the first command entry, 'Restart the PC and run this command'.

If you want to 'give in'I'll understand but still thank you for your efforts to help me. If that's the case (although I hope it's not and maybe you have another idea :whistle: ), could you tell me how to 'undo' the commands I have entered (just so that I know I'm back to where I was as I'm confused enough :crazy: ) .

Thanks narenxp
Nigel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users