Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How slow is to slow?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dash1730

Dash1730

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

This program has been running for 12 hours without interruption, and it is still chunking away but slower. That is it seems to pause 5-10 seconds before flashing up the next file. I don't think my data is unusually large at just over 1 million files, and my hard drives total 2,946 GB with each well under 50% used capacity. All other programs can run smoothly and Windows Task Manager Shows no program is stuck.

But if I need to wait for 1+ million files to be examined at 5 seconds each, it won't be done in my lifetime! What do I need to do differently?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

İt' a Beta,unless you are testing it,i would terminate the process.Why are you using it anyway,do you suspect a rootkit on your system?
İf so the guys here would be able to assist you with tried and tested programs.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hi,
I'll put it this way, I ran it yesterday to see how it was. It only took 20 minutes +/- .

I will confess however to having a decent computer, I7 and a SSD C: which greatly helps with scans. I would concur with stopping it. As was mentioned it is a beta program and as with any Beta program it may fly on one computer and crawl or crash on a different computer. That is what Beta testing is for.

If you suspect an infection why not get some help with checking that system out. We have forums for that here in the Security section.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 November 2012 - 10:54 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Dash1730

Dash1730
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

At about 18 hours Malwarebytes has run its course, finding 32 gotchas.

As to why I'm running a Beta copy, that's the only one I see. If there's a later version, I'd be happy to use it.
Where do I find it?
Or should I just go ahead and use what I got?

#5 Dash1730

Dash1730
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

BTW, my machine is not yet ready to be a boat anchor. It is an HP Pavillian H8-1200c with 6 core and 3300 Mhz and 6 GB RAM, so processes most stuff reasonably promptly.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

There is no non beta copy. The program is still in beta so......

18 hours for Mbam?

Since you did find things, it may pay to go to the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Start a new message and put a link to here in that message.
If/When you do that let me know so I can close this message while they work there. We can always reopen here.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

18 hours for Mbam?

I think it was 18 hours for MBAR!! not MBAM !!
If you're having issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) not covered on the "How to" Guide, you can always contact their Technical Support first, or report it in the Malwarebytes General Forum.
Also follow the post above from rotor123 -

Thank You -

#8 Dash1730

Dash1730
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Rotor 123

I have posted at Am I infected? What do I do? forum, as you suggested.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

You have posted here and you are already receiving assistance.

Please refrain from asking for help from others while you are being instructed by someone helping you.. Any modifications you make can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, following advice outside of that post may cause confusion for the Helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

If you followed any other advice already, please ensure you inform the Helper when they respond to assist you. This will help them know what has been done and they probably will ask for an updated log.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please start a new topic. If you have any questions, please PM me or another moderator.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users