Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going To Setup A Home Network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hello, Im usually pretty good with computers, but networking I'm rusty on. I know that i'll need 2 ethernet cables, a router, and a computer connected to the internet.. Is that all i will need in order to connect both computers to the internet? If not, what else is needed? Im using AOL broadband, so I'm not always connected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

If your going to set up a traditional wired network then yes you need a network card/port in each computer, a router with a built in switch (4 or more LAN ports) and three Cat5e patch cables to connect the computers to the router and the router to your broadband modem. I assume the AOL broadband has a modem which links to the network port on one of your computers at the moment?

Then you need to set up the router's internet port with the same IP address as in the AOL connected computer at the moment. Enable DHCP on the router. Set up both PCs on the same workgroup with file and printer sharing enabled and their network addresses to be set automatically.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

When he said he is not always on could he be referring to DSL or dialup? If DSL you may have to enable PPPoE on the router. If dialup get DSL or Cable. I prefer Cable (always on since '97).
I would also add a print server to the mix. It is shown to the far right. This one will connect 3 printers with parrelell connecetions. With a print server you can up the printer on any computer.

Posted Image

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

When he said he is not always on could he be referring to DSL or dialup? If DSL you may have to enable PPPoE on the router. If dialup get DSL or Cable. I prefer Cable (always on since '97).
I would also add a print server to the mix. It is shown to the far right. This one will connect 3 printers with parrelell connecetions. With a print server you can up the printer on any computer.

Posted Image

Thanks guys, and yes i do have cable. Im always connected to Time warner, but im not always connected to aol..Sorry for the mixup. I know that every time i sign on AOL, my IP changes, will I have to change it on my router everytime i sign on? That would be tedious.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

You router is a computer that's sole job is to router your computers. It will take care of that for you. If I may ask, why do you still use AOL if you have cable?

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:32 AM

You router is a computer that's sole job is to router your computers. It will take care of that for you. If I may ask, why do you still use AOL if you have cable?

Its the AOL cable service.. Quite frankly im not even sure, I want road runner, but my mom is to stubborn. She feels safe with AOL for some reason..

#7 YATZEE!

YATZEE!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

Its the AOL cable service.. Quite frankly im not even sure, I want road runner, but my mom is to stubborn. She feels safe with AOL for some reason..

The power of a good marketing committee.

I don't know who Earthlink is advertising to though.

Place "Off Topic" smiley ---> <---here

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

Sorry for posting this here but Acklan those 24 port switches you got there are they from the net or did you get them at a local store because where I live (some place in back woods quebec) well I don't really have a used computer store... there are only 3 good places... and they order all there parts and herd alot of bad things from the 4th.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

Two from a local used/new Mom and Pop computer store. Two off of eBay, $19.95/plus $7/95 shipping. I just replaced the fans (2) in the SS II hub500. I buy even if I don't needed them, so when I do I have them. eBay let's you buy stuff you normally could not touch. I was told those hub were $400+ new. Be sure if you by one it is 10T/100T and not just 10T.

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

Ok Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users