Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 installation won't run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ixadias

Ixadias

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Ok, here's the full story.

I got my gf a new Acer Aspire 5560 laptop not too long ago which came with a win7 installation. As part of the deal, it had a $15 upgrade to win8 when it launched. Well, win8 came out and upgrade we did. We did it all digital, so we have no windows installation disks :(. Everything was fine for several weeks, with only slight hiccups. I know she downloaded plenty of stuff, and I don't know that it was all legit. Lately we've noticed slight... wonkie'ness... It's hard to describe since my gf isn't technical at all. However, I know she kept having network connectivity issues and programs randomly lagging out. Then, this morning, the system collapsed all together. When she started up the comp, the black screen before the windows icon to boot would stay there indefinitely. After a few restarts it would show the windows loading screen, but then almost immediately jump to a blue screen with the options "Troubleshoot" and "Turn off your PC." We tried the Refresh your PC option, and it did nothing. We tried System Image Recovery but it popped up an error box telling me that an internal error occurred and the system could not find the file specified. We tried system restore and it gave an error saying that I must specify which windows installation to restore (whatever that means). Automatic repair diagnosed for about 30 seconds then said it couldn't do anything.

I opened up Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Command Prompt and I tried chkdsk which told me there were errors detected in the "uppercase file" but chkdsk /f (or chkdsk /* for that matter) says:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

I tried this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-recovery-environment-command-prompt/
but the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key had nothing but the DEFAULT key and the REG LOAD HKLM\WinSoft :\Windows\System32\config\software command gave ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

I really need some help. It seems like windows is corrupted or something? Could this be viral in nature? HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

I tried this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-recovery-environment-command-prompt/
but the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key had nothing but the DEFAULT key and the REG LOAD HKLM\WinSoft :\Windows\System32\config\software command gave ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

Do you have a copy of the Product key for Windows 8? You may want to check to see that the key was entered correctly.

But if this is a new PC, don't you have a warranty on the PC and would rather take it back for repairs?

#3 Ixadias

Ixadias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hey ScurvyChef,

Yes, I have a product key, but I seriously doubt that would cause this. As I said, it worked for weeks before degrading. If the key was incorrect, it wouldn't cause this kind of failure. Also, I have no way to check if the key is correct, since all I can do/get to is the command prompt from the troubleshoot menu.

Also, I do have warranty, but as I bought it online I would much rather deal with it myself then mail it off and hope for the best :)

Edited by Ixadias, 25 November 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

hmm, sorry, I was just picking at whatever suggestions I could to help. I am sure one of the more expereinced members here might have some better ideas. Might just have to give them a chance to read it.

That error message was the part that tripped me up... might be viral as you suggested and may have corrupted a registry value.. sorry I can't help.

#5 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hello Ixadias,

Your laptop should have a hidden partition to revert back to factory settings (Windows 7), you would have to look up that particular model for the correct "F" key to press while booting up to access that Recovery Partition. Once you have recovered Windows 7 you can try the upgrade again, this time burning the file to DVD so you have the disc.
I would also recommend copying all important files to an external drive or on disc, then when you do the upgrade and asked what to keep, choose "Keep Nothing", this will basically do a clean install.

Hope this helps

Don

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users