Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Runaway Toolbars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:25 AM

Not sure if this is the right spot..I just downloaded Trust Watch Toolbar...basically for the alerts it shows at different sites I go to with a rating system"verified" "not verified" and "warning" no use for the other things that came with it (pop-up blocker, search etc.)

I also downloaded another one Scam Blocker Toolbar...which again I got it for one thing it is/has a phsher (spelling) rating system green thumbs up, yellow (something can't remember) and red no explanation needed there I guess. It also came with other things which I can't take off...as with the Trust Watch I could disenable pop-up and search.

I rearranged everything to where it would fit to my kiking and then locked the toolbar, each time I got to my home page every thing (toolbars where all mixed up and not even close to where I had put them???
I tried restart and still all over the place :thumbsup:

Are there any free programs that do the site rating things as these did without all of the bells and whistles I don't need and the headache that it is causing me???

Any help would/will be greatly appreciated,

La Princess

Sorry for any misspelled words...couldn't spell chack because of Trust Watch..I think???? UGH!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 01:12 PM

I do not know of any similar programs to this . It may cause you more problems than good though.

Has all this toolbar issues started when you installed that?

#3 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:36 PM

Yes, Grinler no problems until I installed both, which I am going to uninstall them both right now. I wish there was some sort of monitoring program for adware,spyware, pshishing (sp) etc. as it is happening not after the fact when a scan is run :thumbsup: and free would also be good since I am disabled and on a very limited income.

Thank you so much Grinler,

La Princess

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:01 PM

Take a look at this for antiphishing:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...c=4339&hl=spoof

#5 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:51 PM

Thank you so much Grinler

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:14 PM

Keep in mind, that the more "stuff" you download, the more chances you have of getting spyware or of gunking up your operating system. This is especially true of many toolbars, unless from a trusted source (Yahoo, Google come to mind). All the fun-cutsie-helper programs should, as far as I am concerned, be avoided like the plague. It never hurts to do a Google search for the program and see what other people say about it.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:03 AM

Thank you John for your help and your suggestion about just willy-nilly downloading :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users