Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Memory Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Greetings everyone! This is my first time on the forum and I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you.

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 computer and I am currently running XP Professional.
My system presently only has 248MB of ram and I want to upgrade by adding more memory. For no more than I do on the computer I have decided to just add a couple of 1G sticks of memory.

My questions are:

Can I simply install the two 1G sticks of memory into the remaining two memory slots and use it side-by-side with the old?

Or, for some reason do I need to remove the old memory sticks before installing the new 1G sticks?

I read somewhere about the memory modules need to have the same MHz of speed in order to be compatible with each other or else the system will slow down to the module with slowest MHz. Someone else told me that this only pertaines to making sure that each sgl module in the pair are of the same MHz speed, but you could have two sticks of one MHz and another pair of sticks with a different MHz and still be ok.
I was not convinced of this answer so decided to seek an answer here.

Thanks for your advice!

Harkcomp :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Im assuming your running DDR style memory, and typically, you can mix and match, but not all the time sometimes it will be incompatible. The only way to know is to try it. For best peformance all memory sticks should be exactly identical-if not, then you need to make sure the voltage and timings identical, especially the voltage-its mixed voltages that often cause the issues and incompatibilities.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

Dell specify the system for DDR2, either PC2-3200 or 4300. Faster memory should simply drop to match a lower speed, although as patriot says, sometimes it causes dramas. 248MB probably means two 128MB DIMMs, with 8MB allocated for video memory (with more memory the system should allocate more for video). 1GB is the maximum DIMM size, and it's likely you can use the existing memory as well, unless it proves to be incompatible. It is possible the different sizes will need to be in the right sequence - some motherboards want the largest DIMMs in the first slot pair (lowest numbers).

There is service documentation here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/index.htm
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thanks guys for your responses.
Yes, the system is running DDR type memory.
I do know that the MHz speed for the old memory is different from the new.
So, I think in order to run the new memory at its maximum efficiency I think I will just remove the old memory all together just to be on the safe side.
A full 2G of memory should be a vast improvement over the 248MB that it currently has and I think the original 248MB will hardly be missed. After all, 2G is 8 times the memory it presently has.

Also, I went to the Dell Support site that Forum Addict was kind enough to provide. However, I did visit this site before coming to this forum and had no luck finding anything that addressed my questions.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Under the memory section of the page Platypus linked is this link http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/specs.htm#wp1052320
which shows

Type 400-MHz (PC2-3200) and 533-MHz (PC2-4300) DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM non-ECC

The key words being DDR2 and the speeds.

Based on past experiences, I suggest buying memory of that speed for your Dell. It is easy enough to find online.

Just as a FYI Forum Addict is a category not a user name. The user name is in the upper left corner of the post.

Good Luck on your upgrade. You will find that your 4700 runs like a new computer after the upgrade.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 November 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users