Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video errors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hello all, not sure if I'm in correct forum so forgive/direct me if is the case. I am working on a HP SlimLine that originally was giving an error that ifgx needed to be restarted, and the driver had just recovered. I ran WhoCrashed and it pointed several times to igdkmd64.sys as the culprit. I tried updating the video but it would keep failing all the while it would report the same "driver recovered/restarted" message. Also after each recovery/restart (just the driver, not the whole machine) I would lose the network connection. When the video was working fine so what the network adapter, when the video acted up so did the network adapter. I install a MSI PCI-e video card, it went well, then the recovery msg came back and just complained about a different driver, this time one associated with the nvidia drivers. I ran a memory test, sfc /scannow/ chkdsk and nothing was wrong. I really don't think that it is either video application at all. The owner said it just began 11-14-12 a day after a Windows Defender Update, but I don't think it was that either. Any direction/suggestions would be VERY MUCH appreciated. I have attached a Speccy text summary, just in case that helps.

Scott

Edited by snglnluvnit, 25 November 2012 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Okay, so I disconnected the ethernet cable and let it run for a bit; ran some programs and after about 2 hours of use I did not get any "recovered" msg. I then reconnected the ethernet cable and within 2 minutes got the "recovered" msg. I have attached a zip of 3 random dumps, but at this point I'm really thinking that the Network adapter is failing, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled it once. Of course any insight/thoughts/suggestions are always welcome!!!

Scott

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Is the previous Nvidia driver removed from the system after replacing it with another brand? It is safe to disable Windows Defender nowadays and is not recommended anymore as it could cause unwanted results on some users.

Tekken

#4 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

No I did not uninstall the previous driver (onboard Intel) before installing Nvidia, Will do ASAP, and as for WinDef I will disable that as well. But first I'm on my way to purchase a wireless USB adapter to test with. Will let you know outcome!

Thanks,
Scott

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

jhayz, I uninstalled both video drivers, and the lan network adapter; reinstalled onboard video then onboard lan and almost immediately received the "display driver recovered" msg. I removed ethernet cable, disabled lan network adapter and all was well for 2 hours. Installed wireless adapter and have been using for past hour with no problems... WIERD!! I am thinking that the onboard lan network adapter is beginning to fail. It just looked like the video driver would recover than the network adapter would lose connectivity, I'm thinking it was the other way around, don't know why one would get the "display driver recovered" msg, but it seems to be working fine now. I will use for rest of today, and if nothing then call that the cause.

Thanks for your assistance,
Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users