Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Open Any Files On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 jl101775

jl101775

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

I installed norton antivirus 2006. Everything was fine before I began the installation. I downloaded it from a disc I bought at Circuit City, not something from their website. It went through the process and said installation successful, then it told me to restart my computer. After the computer restarted and I logged onto windows, everything was changed on my desktop, the icons were pictures of the open with icon and I couldn't open anything. When I click on something on my desktop, nothing happens. If I right click it, it doesn't give me the option to open, it only gives me the option to cut, copy, delete, rename or click properties. I tried to go to system restore to go back to a time before I started the installation, but when I click it, nothing happens. I tried to uninstall norton by going to add and remove programs, but when I try to open my control panel, it says, windows cannot create a shortcut here, do you want to place a shortcut on the desktop? If I say yes, It puts an icon on the desktop but when I click it, nothing happens. I tried to put the norton disk in and reinstall norton, but it doesn't autorun and when I clicked my computer and my drive with the cd rom in, it says, this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel. I don't know how to do this. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

What OS are you running? Do you have an OS disk (just in case it is needed).

#3 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Apart from your desktop problem it would seem from your description that your right click context menu is awry. before diving into the registry, I suggest finding your o/s disk and insert it and type 'sfc /scannow' in the Run command. If that doesn't work download ie fix.exe and run that. After that post back. And next time back up your registry, preferably using Erunt.

#4 jl101775

jl101775
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

I am using windows xp home edition. I have a disk that came with my computer, it doesn't say windows xp on the disk, but i believe its supposed to be on the disk. I tried putting it in and doing the sfc /scannow but it tells me this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel. I tried downloading ie fix.exe and when I click to open the file, nothing happens. Any other suggestions?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Somehow your file associations are all corrupted, so your system does not know which programs it needs to run which applications (which I am sure that you have already figured out).

Here are some scripts to get some of those file associations back. You should just have to doubleclick on them to unzip, and then doubleclick on them to run. It will give a warning about writing to the registry, just say yes:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_vb...association.zip
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_ic...e_assoc_fix.zip

Go down them in order. On the off chance that you are not able to unzip them, we can paste together some text files, providing that your notepad works...

#6 jl101775

jl101775
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:51 AM

I cannot unzip those files, and my notepad does not open for me

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:10 AM

Ok, let's put it another way. What does work? I need some idea of what is available to work with. You are obviously able to download.

When you try to run an .exe file, and it gives you the error, does it give you the option to browse to the file needed? If it does, .exe files need to be pointed at explorer.exe. See if that gets anything going at all.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

IF YOU HAVE A WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE DATE FROM BEFORE YOU INSTALLED NORTON, USE IT NOW!!!
It will revert your computer back to before Norton was installed and the subsequent corruption.

Click on the start button, then "help and support", then type in System Restore" at the top.
Use the wizard to restore your computer.

You can also access it by clicking on start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Norton had a recent problem in which one of their "updates" screwed up other aps in computers, but installing their program from a cd shouldn't have had this affect unless you updated definitions at the time in which their update did this.

If you wan't to keep Norton (which I personally would not do as it is problematic and a resource hog) the best thing to do would be to call Norton's support number at this time.

Pick out the product you bought and follow to the appropriate link:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

Personally, I would download AVG (which is exactly what I did). It is free, works perfectly. covers incoming and outgoing email, and updates automatically.

AVG: (freeware av ap)
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

or

Avast Anti-virus freeware
http://www.komando.com/bestshareware.asp

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 March 2006 - 09:03 AM.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:00 AM

@ Enthusiast
The only problem is that system restore does not work, and .exe's will not run. Let's not get the cart ahead of the horse here. :thumbsup:

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

You may be able to use BartPE or Ultimate Boot Disk Utility to activate Sytem Restore. I would try BartPE first since it is the smaller download.

Edited by acklan, 24 March 2006 - 09:59 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 jl101775

jl101775
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

it does not give me an option to browse, i can click ok and that's it. I can get connected to the internet and not much more, i can download things, at least i think its working but after download is complete, nothing pops up for me to open the download box just goes away.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

See if any of these will work. They should restore just enough of your missing associations to get you at least limping along. Of course, you are going to need to figure where they are being saved...

Attached File  xp_exe_fix.reg   2.54KB   22 downloads

Attached Files

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

Do you have data you can't afford to lose on the computer?

If you do not, the disk you got with the computer is most likely a restore disk which will reinstall XP and put the computer back to exactly how it came when new. It may or may not have a non-destructive restore option - some do in addition to the full, destructive restore.

If you want to use it you boot the computer with the disk in the cd/dvd drive. You have to reset the boot order in the bios setup screens to boot from CD first instead of the hard drive.

To do that insert the disk in the cd drive, boot the computer and immediately look at the bottom of the screen when it first starts (before Windows starts) for instructions on what F key (or del) or whatever to press to enter setup.

#14 jl101775

jl101775
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

I tried opening everything you sent me, nothing works, I tried putting in my windows disk and i can explore my computer and get the disk to open, the welcome to windows screen comes up and says what would you like to do, it give me a few options: install windows, install optional windows components, ,perform additional tasks, or check system compatibility. If I click install windows, or install windows components, nothing happens, if I click, perform additional tasks, another screen comes up that says, set up remote desktop connection, set up a home or small office network, transfer files and settings, browse this cd or view the release notes. nothing happens when I click any of these. If I click check system compatibility, another screen comes up that says, check my system automatically (which does nothing when I click it) or visit the compatibility website. If I click this one, windows marketplace website pops up. I don't know, I am beginning to think, nothing is going to work.

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

I don't know that is the case just yet. When you say they didn't work, what do you mean? Did they write to the registry? Did you get some sort of message at all? When you try to install Windows, how long are you waiting before determining that nothing is happening.? Have you tried booting in safe mode yet? Can you boot ot a command mode prompt?

It sounds like something else is going on besides a corrupted install. I am not accusing you of anything, or being critical, but if there is any other things that you have done that you have not let us know, like running a registry cleaner or something, then you really need to let us know. (A registry cleaner would cause this exact problem).

At any rate, there a re a few other things that can be tried yet, but I need you to be as detailed as you possibly can. I am trying to walk through things step by step, and if we can't get it working properly, then you are going to be up for a format and reinstall. I would like to be sure that here is not a hard disk problem first. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users