Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Linux?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Speaksoftly

Speaksoftly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

I will likely be getting a new laptop for use during my graduate studies. Much of what I do requires a unix (or unix-esk) type platform. I have a desktop rigth now that is running gentoo linux, I guess, I have had my share of problems with this machine. I will have very minimal help with this and am far from linux savvy. I guess what I need is a machine that runs linux, and that is relatively easy to install/use. I will be my own "administrator" (I will be the sole root accessor).
The main options I have thought about (and I haven't thought too hard about it yet) are these:

Continue with gentoo. I have had some experience with this, and I like portage. Thing is that my current machine is pretty screwed up and I don't know how to fix it. Currently I am having to run (what is it? xvm?) an gui that must be run from root and requires the users to log in each time the gui is exited. I'm actually not sure how to shut the gui down and try to run something else short of restarting the whole machine. For some reason xinit and startx don't work. Also when ssh'd in I am unable to open new windows.

Use something that seems more "windows-like" like maybe redhat. I don't know if redhat actually is more windows like, but my former roommate ran this and it seemed so.

Anyway, I"m pretty clueless as to my options or the differences between them. Mostly what I want is something that will do the more basic things (vim, unison, matlab) and do the administrative stuff in a rather self explanitory fashion (like how windows lets me just browse and tinker).

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

My personal favorite is fedora core. I had issues with knoppix,and debian based linux. I used FC2 to teach a friend how to use a computer

Posted Image

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

Give PCLinuxOS a try. You can run it from a LiveCD and decide
if it suits you. If its what you want simply install it and if not at
least you have a Linux LiveCD. :thumbsup:
What is PCLinuxOS

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:59 AM

I currently have several of my computers running Puppy Linux. It is a live Linux and is very easy to install. If you have 256mb+ of Ram and a CD-R you can run it,, and then save data or change back to the same disk. It is only a 50mb system. If you don't linke it just reboot and it's gone. If you wish to install it, it will install in a folder inside windows.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

as a newbie myself, i have tried almost every distro out there.i had too many problems with rpm based distro,but debian based distro i can usually figure out the few and little problems myself.damn small is a awsome small live distro that u can install very easily and have a basic debian system.i run 3 systems winxp,simplyMepis,and damn small on a small 6gb harddrive.

#6 insomniac_haxx

insomniac_haxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

ya man i dont know if this laptop has been baught yet or not but if you check the machines wifi device and take a look around the web to see if theres any support for it.

I tell you know if your holding a broadcom internal wireless G (otherwise known as Bcm43xx) good bloody luck. For know most of us must settle for pcmcia cards that are supported wireless B.

If your really iterested in getting dirty the currant Dapper has a Native linux driver that some I repeat SOME people have had a little bit of success. Good news is that its a very dominant problem that just about every guru and superuser is trying to fix while staying up late drinking energy drinks and painting the walls with cigarette tar. So the problem should be fixed soon.

I have some luck with it and am working on it night after night.

#7 Mofficer

Mofficer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

I'm an avid PC gamer, and its the only thing thats preventing me from using linux all the time. I've heard of windows emulators and Lindows etc... Is there any version of linux/windows emulators that can run the newest games at full settings?

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

Unfortunately no....since the masses use M$ that's who the game makers
target for that paycheck. Lately a lot of games are being ported to Linux
such as Doom 3, Americas Army, Unreal and others. But as far as running them
as they would in Windows natively i'm afraid you're out of luck.
You can try Cedega from TransGaming: http://www.transgaming.com/
It is not compatible with all M$ games.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 Crasher12

Crasher12

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

PCLinuxOS! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users