Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway mc7801u video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

My nephew asked me to see if I could repair his gateway mc7801u laptop. It has no video, I connected it to my monitor which I know works, but with no luck. I can see the LEDs turn on and see the hdd LED is active indicating that it is running. I can hear the fan running, I placed a disk in the optical drive and can hear it spin up, so I'm reasonably sure that the computer is booting into the operating system.

I was hoping to find another chip (Intel GMA 4500MHD) to replace the failed one, but haven't had much luck so far. This computer isn't worth putting a lot of money in it, so I'm trying to avoid purchasing another motherboard.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2012 - 05:23 PM.
Minor edit - Hamluis.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hi Dan, if you feel that you are confident enough to tackle the task of removing the GMA 4500MHD chip and replacing it with a new one, I have to tell you that that is not an easy task to perform.

The task can be made a lot easier if a heat gun is used that is designed for electronics repair.

I am posting a wikipedia on the GMA chip set series, focus on the GMA X4500 where it states the following quote The GMA 4500MHD for laptops was launched on July 16, 2008. Feature wise, the 4500MHD is identical to its desktop cousin, the X4500HD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

This X4500HD uses the G45 Chip set info at this link

NOTE: Copy and paste link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G35_(chipset)#Core_2_chipsets

Scroll down and look for G45

I have contacted my electronics parts suppliers and have found that the chips were NOT manufactured for distribution outside of Intel's inventory control and are not sold separately from the motherboards that they were embedded on.

If you can locate a motherboard from a laptop, that experienced a failure other then the on board graphics chip, which is built into the chip set chip, then chip replacement is possible, but not by any means an easy task to perform.

You have Three possibilities for chip/ board damage here, one removing the old chip and not damaging any of the delicate circuit traces, two, removing the good chip from its former motherboard, and three, not ending up with solder bridges or bent pins on the chips leads once it has been melded to the new motherboard.

I wish I could have provided a resource for a brand new chip, however, Itel corp. has exclusive rights to that chip set and controls its distribution.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 November 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the response Bruce.

I have a Weller soldering station and a vacuum powered desoldering tool of which I've had years of experience using. My last refresher with pc boards was twelve years ago while I was waiting for my permanent position to open, I worked in the company's PCB department repairing boards and running QC.

I had suspected that this chip wasn't available to the public from what I was able to Google, but one can hope. My nephew's dog knocked the laptop off of the couch and broke the screen, so he is using an external monitor, at least he was. Because of this I may just look for a used desktop to replace the laptop since there is always going to be the possibility that there could be other failures related to this trauma. The laptop doesn't leave his room, so why not. Besides... I would rather not have this laptop spread all over the kitchen table. My wife is trying to change my bachelor ways.Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users